The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Singing through "Italian Amps"

I really like the acoustic guitar tones I've heard on youtube Acus One amp demos. Acus apparently also manufacturers the Schlerter and Godin lines of acoustic amps at their facility in Italy. There's a family similarity, though I'm most attracted to Acus One.

Only thing is, while I can find lots of impressive demos from players all over the world putting guitars through them, I can't find one where someone is singing at the same time.

So ... anyone have experience singing through this type of amp? Obviously it doesn't make sense for the guitar to sound great if the vocals sound somewhat compromised.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
I really like the acoustic guitar tones I've heard on youtube Acus One amp demos. Acus apparently also manufacturers the Schlerter and Godin lines of acoustic amps at their facility in Italy. There's a family similarity, though I'm most attracted to Acus One.

Only thing is, while I can find lots of impressive demos from players all over the world putting guitars through them, I can't find one where someone is singing at the same time.

So ... anyone have experience singing through this type of amp? Obviously it doesn't make sense for the guitar to sound great if the vocals sound somewhat compromised.
Just to give more detail

1) Schertler used to sell just the David and Unico amps. Schertler made the preamps in Switzerland and had the cabinet and amplification done by a company named SR Technology in Italy using Italian Sica speakers.

2) Then SR Technology started to sell the amps called JAM 80, 120 and then 90, 150, and then 100 and 200 cheaper than the Schertlers with basic built-in mixers. They were very successfull in Europe.

3) So Schertler bought SR Technology and included these product in its own line. (ex: Schertler JAM which is close to an Unico but without the Yellow preamps).

4) Some engineers from SR-Technology did not join Schertler and created their own company called Acus. They sell basically JAMs, at bit smaller with tighter low end and same build quality.

I can't say answer for ACUS because I don't own one but the SR JAM takes well the vocals (better than the AER compact 60 for example).

I've tested ACUS with guitars and I don't see why they would not handle vocals properly. (I think the tighter low end will actually sound better than on the old SR JAM 150 I own)

If I was offered the choice between ACUS 8, Fishman Artist, and AER compact 60. I'd probably take the ACUS 8 (I've briefly compared the ACUS 8 and the Fishman two weeks ago, but I did not have the time to tweak).

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 AM

Smile

Hi Trogg

I had a Acus One 6. Its a great little amp. When I busk i use a AER compact 6 version 3.
The Acus one does have a nice warm sound but it does'nt quite project like the AER. OK the Acus One does have more bottom end but the LF driver is only 6 inch where as the AER has a 8" inch cone.
On vocals it was good but on my AER the vocals are very good, crystal clear and open sounding.

I gave my Acus away to a friend of mine at my church. There is another great amp from the same family and thats the Jam 150 . I did have that one but that was faulty so I had to take it back.
That one had a really nice sound.
Plus that particular one was housed in a wooden casing. The new Jam 150's are housed in tough plastic .
I think the proper name is the SR Jam Technology
Old 09-13-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post

I can assure you that the Acus is a great amp. For guitars and for vocals!
I am waiting for next month to be able to buy the Acus One 8.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

If singing through an Italian amp would make me sound more like Pavarotti, then there's no question I would use one...
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-13-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Just to give more detail...
The depth of collective knowledge on this forum is incredible.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
If singing through an Italian amp would make me sound more like Pavarotti, then there's no question I would use one...
lol.

I am not sure I'd like to sing like Pavarotti... Maybe I dhould sell my SRs then...

I agree the ACUS 6 is not the best option for vocals, as the AER alpha.

ACUS 8 is very similar to JAM 150. Just smaller with tighter low end and probably updated preamps (JAM150 preamps are kind of weirdness, no gain pot, low input impedances...).

Cuki

PS: I live in europe, so for me Italian amps (ex:ACUS), German (AER), Swiss (Schertler) are cheaper than/ or as expensive as US amps (Fishman, Genz Benz...) (there also easily available second hand). I would probably consider an American amp if I had to pay extra.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Reassuring that the time demands of launching Tonedexter haven't interfered with your desire to sing Pagliacci.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 AM

I'm leaning toward the Acus One 8 since I also fake keyboards and they generally need a bigger bass speaker and more watts/headroom.

Mr Blues the Acus 8 has an eight inch speaker. That may help the general robustness of the vocal sound. I think it's more equivalent to the Jam 150.

Just to clarify, I'm not expecting the Acus amps to be top of the line for singing, just hoping they're good enough that no one in the audience would ever think, "wow, what a great guitar sound, too bad the vocal sound's a little weak."

Pretty darned good for vocals would suffice.

Anyone have opinions on Acus vs Godin vs SR vs Schlerter versions?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I have a Schertler JAM 150. It provides the best sound I have found for Guitar AND vocals. It's like a mini PA.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:59 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Next question: anyone have any preference regarding buying a regular model and leaving it on the floor, buying an angled version, or putting the amp on a stand?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification