The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 PM

a few tips:

Carefully mask your fretboard before filing or sanding anything. I like to use 2 layers of blue painters tape and a layer of clear plastic box tape on top of that. This protects the fretboard from scratches and gouges.

Mark the tops of the frets with magic marker before you level. High frets will be hit first:.. Low frets last.

Mark the levelled fret tops again before crowning. Crown the frets until you see a thin line of magic marker in the middle of the fret. Then sand with various grits to polish smooth.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
a few tips:

Carefully mask your fretboard before filing or sanding anything. I like to use 2 layers of blue painters tape and a layer of clear plastic box tape on top of that. This protects the fretboard from scratches and gouges.

Mark the tops of the frets with magic marker before you level. High frets will be hit first:.. Low frets last.

Mark the levelled fret tops again before crowning. Crown the frets until you see a thin line of magic marker in the middle of the fret. Then sand with various grits to polish smooth.

Thanks
I use powdercoating tape: tough, no residue.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 PM

I'm going to try Stewmac's new Z-file. I started with normal crowning files, then switched to the triangular file for the past couple years. Interested to see how this one works. Even with a safe ground triangle file, it's easy to scratch the fretboard (even with painter's tape)
Old 09-27-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
. Even with a safe ground triangle file, it's easy to scratch the fretboard (even with painter's tape)
The Stewmac stainless steel fret guards work well ... cutting strips from an aluminum drinks can and taping them against the frets is also effective. The aluminum is thin enough to be cut with scissors.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhejh View Post
Hi Guys

I am looking to invest in a good (ideally fool proof) crowning file, to this point I have used a single cut quarter file but I don't feel overly confident with it - it is 6 inches long.

I have been looking at the stew Mac (Z File) the original.
It cuts one side at a time and it appears to be pretty easy to use producing great results even for the novice.

I don't want to spend years perfecting the art of the quarter file therefore would be happy to invest in the Z file if it is as good as described therefore would appreciate any comments or recommendations from those that may have used it or similar crowning files.

Thanks
Brian
There are no "Fool proof" crowning files.

I use a triangle file with corners smoothed. This gives the most control of any file I've used, and while other files can be quicker, if used more quickly the results are often not as good. And to get the same quality results that I get with the triangle file, it takes at least as much time.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-27-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
I'm going to try Stewmac's new Z-file. I started with normal crowning files, then switched to the triangular file for the past couple years. Interested to see how this one works. Even with a safe ground triangle file, it's easy to scratch the fretboard (even with painter's tape)
I use one thickness of painters tape, followed by 1 thickness of black electric tape. Push your force onto the fret, not the fretboard. Use only enough force on the taped fretboard as is necessary to guide the file.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
I use one thickness of painters tape, followed by 1 thickness of black electric tape. Push your force onto the fret, not the fretboard. Use only enough force on the taped fretboard as is necessary to guide the file.
That's a good tip with the electrical tape. I prefer the triangle file in most cases.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair