The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-31-2017, 07:23 AM

Default Who makes the best CG today?

If asking who builds the best CG today, which maker's name would appear in your head without thinking?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 AM

Traditional, lattice or double top?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

What's a "CG" ?

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 08-31-2017, 07:50 AM

I don't think this question can be answered. So many builders and so many different opinions.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
What's a "CG" ?
Classical guitar
Old 08-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Gotcha....

I have a GC (Grand Concert) and got confused, then I convinced myself you were referring to carbon fiber guitars....which got me completely dunderheaded

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
I don't think this question can be answered. So many builders and so many different opinions.
This. There is no "best". There are many world-class builders out there with five figure price tags and years-long wait lists. Each has his/her own take on tone. The only way to know what's "best" for you personally is to play these instruments. The only way for most to do that is to go to a shop like GSI, where you can experience some of these instruments. I've never played a $5K+ classical and only know what I know about them through reading, watching and listening. But one must experience a guitar in person to really be sure that it's a great instrument for oneself. That same thing holds true for instruments costing under $5K as well.

I've always wanted to try a Fleta or Hauser in a CG, and a Conde or some other great, explosive flamenco. Though I've stayed in the SF Bay area several times, I've yet to make it to GSI. I wasn't in the market for a new guitar during those visits, so I didn't want to be a "tire kicker" and waste the staff's time there. But I would love to experience these instruments in person.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:26 AM

The best one is the one that you pick up to play and go... dayum!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

The best one I've ever played or seen is my James Goodall classical. However, I've never even been in the room with a high grade, top of the line classical guitar so what do I know (LOL).

Dave
Old 08-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
This. There is no "best". There are many world-class builders out there with five figure price tags and years-long wait lists. Each has his/her own take on tone. The only way to know what's "best" for you personally is to play these instruments. The only way for most to do that is to go to a shop like GSI, where you can experience some of these instruments. I've never played a $5K+ classical and only know what I know about them through reading, watching and listening. But one must experience a guitar in person to really be sure that it's a great instrument for oneself. That same thing holds true for instruments costing under $5K as well.

I've always wanted to try a Fleta or Hauser in a CG, and a Conde or some other great, explosive flamenco. Though I've stayed in the SF Bay area several times, I've yet to make it to GSI. I wasn't in the market for a new guitar during those visits, so I didn't want to be a "tire kicker" and waste the staff's time there. But I would love to experience these instruments in person.
Precisely this. The question really has no meaning. If you're looking for outstanding guitars in a certain price range or outstanding guitars made by factories or small shops, you are likely to get some good recommendations. But even then, there will be nothing that can remotely be considered "the best."
-Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical