The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Patience

I have always been a very impatient kind of guy. But I just get really frustrated as I get older that I cant get some things figured out as fast as I would like.

I am trying to work on finger picking technique. I am trying to teach myself Freight Train using as very basic YT video of Tony Polecastro's.

He breaks it down to eight sections. roughly two bars a section. I realize I am not supposed to move on to the next section until I get the previous section down but....darn...this is frustrating.

If anyone else has tried this video how long are you working on each section? Beginner finger pickers only please. LOL
Old 08-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

I know you wanted only beginners to respond, but I practiced a 3 measure section of a tab last night 100 times. And that was just part of last night's practice.

See if you can get a tab, print it and if you have to practice just 2 notes at a time, then repeat, then do it. Get tough or go home, lol.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:00 AM

I'd break it down by melodic phrase, rather than arbitrarily bar bar segments...if you can hear the piece as music, you'll retain it better.

An idea might be to just learn the melody first, forget all the fingerpicking, and really internalize the melody.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-29-2017, 11:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

When I get frustrated I put the guitar down for a bit and then come back to it. I try to "practice" about 15 mins a day on a progression, or chord or technique. the rest of the time I "play". It will take some practice but you can get it.....
Old 08-29-2017, 11:14 AM

You can always work on another section and return to the difficult section at another time.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty new at playing and I've been working on Toby Walker's finger picking lessons for the past two months. All I can say is that you better work very hard on your patience if you expect to get anywhere with this.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi Sponserv,

I'm also new at fingerpicking (my left hand is experienced, though )

All I can tell you is I have been at it for 8 months and so far I have exactly 8 tunes under my belt (including Freight Train, but I do Mark Hanson's "easy" version). I practice no less than an hour and a half a day, often 2 hours or more. Other than a few of weeks vacation I haven't missed more than a day or 2 in 8 months.

So your experience is typical. As Barry said, this is not easy. If it was everyone would be doing it.

You are to be congratulated on the effort. I toyed with the idea of fingerpicking for years before taking the plunge. I'm glad I did, but I certainly have days of frustration. I recently began lessons for the first time, and that has been a real encouragement, and helped a lot with my right hand technique.

Good luck!!!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:33 AM

Default Frustration can kill you

Not literally, but sap your drive to progress.

The key is in learning to love the music enough to patiently and with a sense of good humor, persist through the awkwardness of getting your fingers to do what they need to do.

If you can learn to enjoy the process instead of feeling frustrated because you're expecting a result sooner, --- you'll be miles ahead -- because it doesn't change.

You'll eventually learn Freight Train, but then there's the next challenge and the principle is the same.

I find the best way to make it fun is to enjoy the sound you're creating, be patient with yourself, and smile often.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
I am trying to work on finger picking technique. I am trying to teach myself Freight Train using as very basic YT video of Tony Polecastro's.
I haven't taken the time to go through the video, because he breaks it down in great detail, so if Tony Polecastro is going too fast, try this lesson which begins by answering the question of having a hard time getting finger picking coordination started. He addresses it very slowly and simply right in the beginning. Hope that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-lZkP14DU
Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
I have always been a very impatient kind of guy. But I just get really frustrated as I get older that I cant get some things figured out as fast as I would like.

He breaks it down to eight sections. roughly two bars a section. I realize I am not supposed to move on to the next section until I get the previous section down but....darn...this is frustrating.

If anyone else has tried this video how long are you working on each section? Beginner finger pickers only please. LOL
When I set out to learn Freight Train, what worked for me was to break it into two parts: the alternating thumb, and all melody.

I worked on the bass first, worked on it long and hard over many hours.
Then I worked in the melody notes.

good luck!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 08-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
When I set out to learn Freight Train, what worked for me was to break it into two parts: the alternating thumb, and all melody.

I worked on the bass first, worked on it long and hard over many hours.
Then I worked in the melody notes.

good luck!
Good advice. I do that often.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write