The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-30-2017, 05:19 AM

Default Problem with string loop holding at bridge on high strings

I recently had a problem with a new set of strings, which took quite a bit of time to resolve. The problem was that the high E string was so smooth that the loop anchoring it at the bridge would not hold - it just kept slipping out when I brought it up to tension. It also happened with another set of strings that I tried. I finally found a way to solve the problem which involved inventing a new kind of loop at the bridge. I tried to post a picture of it here but this website does not allow me to directly insert an image. So if anybody would like to see how to do this, just send me an email and I will be glad to answer it with a picture:
[email protected]
Old 07-30-2017, 08:46 AM

The "usual" methods of addressing string slippage on unwound nylon strings is to either tie a not in the end of the string, or melt the end into a small ball, prior to looping the string at the bridge.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I've never heard of a nylon string that couldn't be properly tied using conventional methods.
May I ask what kind of string (which brand) you were using?

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-30-2017, 02:56 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I've always done what Charles (above) mentions, but I've never had a string slip out of the standard double-loop tie far enough for the balled up end to be called into action. I was told this might be an issue when I tried the carbon trebles, but it didn't make any difference. Maybe I've just always had a sticky bridge...
Old 07-30-2017, 05:13 PM

I always clean my fingers with rubbing alcohol before changing the treble strings. I also keep a box of matches at the workbench and melt the string ends as Charles described. The smell of the match is a pleasurable part of the string changing procedure for me. I had a string slip once when I was a teen and it marked the soundboard. Never again.

A side note: It's interesting how different types of strings react to the match flame.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:45 PM

And be careful with alcohol around a true French polish finish.

hunter
Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
And be careful with alcohol around a true French polish finish.

hunter
Yes.

Always be careful with alcohol!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:11 AM

I know they are a far stretch from traditional methods but there are string ties for classical guitars that are said to provide a slip resistant method for securing the strings on a very small block prior to running the string into the guitar bridge. It eliminates the prospect of eventual wear and unsightly string marks on top of and on the back of the bridge tie block and decreases the risk of marking up the soundboard when replacing the the strings. It also has some benifit of increasing the break angle of the strings over the saddle. Of course it looks odd and seems a tad bit sacrilegious to many but they do make practical sense, I suppose. Haven't used them but I might not be averse to giving them a try. It hurts a bit to get that first top scratch because of a sharp string end poking the soundboard behind the bridge. Just an option.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:17 AM

I'm one of those oddballs who uses Savarez plastic wound trebles, so I can't really relate to the string slipping issue.

Mark
Old 08-01-2017, 02:52 PM

Unhappy

I don't know if this would work for you - but narrow strings like carbons will sometimes go through the hole twice - which should solve the problem. My guitar has a 12 hole bridge and I always have to tie a knot in the end of the nylon strings and anchor the knot under the string. The only time I had one slip I ONLY melted the end of the string (no knot) and it slipped right through the hole and dinged my guitar.... whereas I've never had one slip with a figure of 8 knot
Old 08-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Here is a discussion on the string ties... hope the link gets you to the right place. http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.co...b07a7a3875e213
Old 08-06-2017, 09:15 PM

Save this pdf and/or print it out. It works well for carbon trebles.

http://web.archive.org/web/201411302...topperKnot.pdf
Old 08-08-2017, 02:45 PM

Try one more loop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical