The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-07-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Seeking Mandolin advice

I'm thinking about taking up the mandolin, but like a new guitar player, I don't know a whole lot about them other than the round holes sound better than F holes, and the visual diff between an A style and a F style.

Can a good quality mandolin be had for around $500-800?
Old 07-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Call the mandolin store.

Order an Eastman MD305
Old 07-07-2017, 02:49 PM

In that price range, you could get a very good Flatiron,Weber, Sawcyn, or Redline flat top on the used market. They will sound good, play good, and hold their value. If you want to go to a carved top A style, you would need to go import or figure in about 50% more on your budget.

Watch the classified section of Mandolin Cafe and you'll see lots of private sale and dealer offers.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Can a good quality mandolin be had for around $500-800?
Yes, if you buy used. You can get near-mint, used Breedlove American made (vs. the newer Chinese made) mandolins for less than $800. You have to be patient and keep looking though.

You might also want to check out the Mandolin Cafe forum website as well. Most of the questions you have about mandolins have already been answered over there.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:57 PM

I second the Mandolin Cafe. www.MandolinCafe.com

Lots of stuff to learn and many opportunities to get a quality mandolin in your price range.

Wonderful forum loaded with great folks.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:59 PM

Also, if I may add, do you Mando players prefer the A or the F, round or F holes?

I did check out the Mandolin Café site as well. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Also, if I may add, do you Mando players prefer the A or the F, round or F holes?

I did check out the Mandolin Café site as well. Thanks!
I prefer A's anyway but in your price range, wouldn't even consider an F. At the low end of the market, you will get substantially more instrument in an A or a flat top for the money you put in.

Don't get too deep in the weeds over F hole vs. oval. In the beginning, they all sound like silverware being dropped on a metal counter. Worry about that stuff on your second or third mandolin. For now, all you need is acceptable sound and most important, playability.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:52 PM

I started mandolin back in 2008. I come from a violin and guitar background, so that helped me a lot. Yes an A model is much more bang for the buck. Oval holes tend to have more sustain and mellowed tone than f holes. Oval holes lend themselves to many genres (as do f holes) but many players prefer the ovals for jazz, classical, Celtic etc. and f holes for bluegrass.

The high tension double string courses of a mandolin will surprisingly chew through your guitar calluses quickly. You need a thicker pick on mando - 1.5 mm or more. Many of us prefer a rounded tip.

Mandolins cost more than guitars at any given quality level. There are a few reasons for this:
1. Smaller market = less sales volume
2. Most higher quality mandos are carved arch top and back = substantially more work to make than a flat top guitar.
You should try to find a decent used instrument in your price range. Alternately you could get a pancake style like Big Muddy (aka Mid-Missouri) or Red line.

I found mandolin to really awaken my musical journey. I got better faster on mando than I ever did guitar. Instead of being one of 1000's of mediocre guitarists locally I was one of a hand full of mandolin players. I was asked to sit in with several local bands and even contributed on a few albums. I started getting to to music theory. Then I became aware of mandolas, octave mandolins and mandocellos...never got GAS but I got smitten with serious MAS....9 mando-family instruments and counting...

Last edited by Mandobart; 07-07-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Call the mandolin store.

Order an Eastman MD305
Thanks! I believe I shall.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments