The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-09-2017, 04:12 AM

Default Newbie needs advice on classical right-hand technique...

Hi,

I am just teaching myself classical guitar (I play most Brasilian bossa nova) and I have a question about right hand technique...

I usually play 'plucking' the D - G - B (and sometimes E) strings with my fingers, and play the bass line on the E & A strings with just my thumb

I am learning Bach's Suite #1 in G Major, which (in my version) plays mostly on the E - A - D - G strings, so my question is:

Should I keep my thumb on the E & A strings, and try and just play D string with the 1st finger, and G string with the 2nd finger (as I would do in bossa nova) or is it better to 'mix-it-up' a bit and alternate strings/fingers etc. when playing classical pieces?

Thanks!

cheers,
Dan
Old 03-09-2017, 06:31 AM

In classical technique, unless indicated otherwise you would expect to use your first, second and third finger for the G, B and E strings, and use them there almost exclusively. Use the thumb for the E, A and D strings almost exclusively. Most classical guitar is played from notation and if there are diversions from the normal they are annotated on the score. The thumb is p (pulgar), the index is i (indice), the middle is m (medio), and the ring finger is a (anular).

In the beginning, practice that so your fingers "know" where they are supposed to go. As you gain experience and control you can start to push it around and make other accommodations to the music. Things like rapid single notes on one string require an accommodation, as does tremolo, etc. The most common is to alternate between thumb and index, index and middle, and so on. Ultimately rules are to be broken, after you learn why the rule is there in the first place.

Last edited by MC5C; 03-09-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:18 AM

My instructor many years ago defined two right hand positions: Standard String Assignment (SSA) where the thumb took care of E A and D and the three fingers handled G, B, and E. He also defined an Alternate String Assignment (ASA) where the thumb took care of E and A, and the fingers D, G, and B. You shifted your right hand between SSA and ASA depending on the requirements of the music.

Cincy
Old 03-09-2017, 12:04 PM

Awesome! That's was exactly what I was looking for... Thank you both MC5C and Cincy2

I was actually also wondering if it was 'acceptable' to be using the thumb & first finger alternating - it felt a bit 'blues-grassy' banjo-ish, but it seems to work for me as well...

Thanks again!

cheers,
Dan
Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danonearth View Post
I was actually also wondering if it was 'acceptable' to be using the thumb & first finger alternating - it felt a bit 'blues-grassy' banjo-ish, but it seems to work for me as well...
cheers,
Dan
Absolutely.
It's also a very suitable alternative to play faster, scale like passages.
The key is to maintain good tone and clarity above all else. If you can achieve that playing Bach behind your back, then that'a acceptable too. In my book anyway!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-09-2017, 03:49 PM

I think the rules ( p plays 4,5,6 and the higher strings get one finger each) are only there to get started - later on things get moved around a bit to allow us to get to the next note /avoid alternating fingers/you name it. I played a bass section in the ensemble that was all p/i alternation - either on the 5th or the 6th string - only way to get it fast and clean...

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2017, 05:31 PM

Great! Thanks, Andre & Creamburmese... I think I'm getting the hang of it - very useful - and fun! cheers, Dan
Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 AM

I use the thumb on the 6th 5th and 4th strings and my index on the 3rd and when I need to 4th string middle on the 2nd and when I need to the 3rd and ring on the1st string.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 AM

I wish there had been an instructor knowledgeable in fingerstyle that would have set me on the right path way back when.

But my early fingerstyle playing was self taught. So as a result, I never assigned fingers or thumb to any specific strings.

Learning alternating bass songs did require that my right thumb stay around strings 4-6. But it would also move to the 3nd or 2nd string on occasion. I typically only used my index and middle finger for playing.

As my playing ability improved & my tastes in music evolved; I've learned to modify my technique. I've added my ring finger into the playing technique.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-10-2017, 02:48 PM

Thanks, macmanmatty & dkstott cheers, Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write