The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2017, 10:48 AM

Default Drum Machine

Want recommendation on a drum machine for simple George Strait and Sinatra type songs. Also , simple 3/4 time patches. Have used Alesis SR16 and SR 18. Nice for rap type stuff but not very useful for laid back songs. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 AM

My suggestion is perhaps a bit unconventional...

Buy the DAW called Reaper for $60.
Buy the plug-in called Toontrack EZdrummer 2 Songwriters Edition for $250.

Spend the time needed to create your backing track drums, output the songs as MP3's, and put them on your phone or playback device and have at it.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 PM

Beatbuddy or for simpler needs Beatbuddy mini
Old 09-26-2017, 12:19 AM

Used Alesis SR-16
Very simple to use, program, set tempo and many types of percussion from rock to hand percussion and great for acoustic. I use it a lot for gigs and operate it from a foot pedal for start/stop. I don't even use fills which are not really necessary for small gigs...people don't notice. But I feel that percussion adds a lot to my gigs. I use it on all my songs and note on each song what number of drum settings/program I am using as well as the tempo. I manually change the tempo and the song number between each song in my set. Works easily and with good enough drums with a lot of variety decided by you. I have fifty drum patterns recorded which is the max. Thats plenty since the tempo changes with each song I do. Very easy to alter the pattern and save it too.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 09-28-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Used Alesis SR-16

Very simple to use, program, set tempo and many types of percussion from rock to hand percussion and great for acoustic. I use it a lot for gigs and operate it from a foot pedal for start/stop. I don't even use fills which are not really necessary for small gigs...people don't notice. But I feel that percussion adds a lot to my gigs. I use it on all my songs and note on each song what number of drum settings/program I am using as well as the tempo. I manually change the tempo and the song number between each song in my set. Works easily and with good enough drums with a lot of variety decided by you. I have fifty drum patterns recorded which is the max. Thats plenty since the tempo changes with each song I do. Very easy to alter the pattern and save it too.

You should check out the Beatbuddy. Paired with an iPad you can preset your tempos, beats and edit as needed and you don't have to touch anything. Just swipe to the next song and it's ready to go.
Awesome for solo gigs
Old 09-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Beatbuddy mini. Been using it for over a year, very happy with it.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 10-01-2017, 09:00 AM

Many thanks for your input. Am going to continue to work with Alesis SR18. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification