The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-24-2017, 05:38 PM

Congrats on your first electric - it won't be your last . Enjoy!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:01 PM

You will love it. (Especially playing out of that Fender amp).

You should fairly seamlessly adjust to the Fender neck also is my experience.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:15 PM

Thanks. The adjustment from my j35 which is a fairly beefy neck hasn't been nearly as tough as I thought it might be.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
...electric is a totally different animal. If you play in a lot in first position (cowboy chords) and use the same grip you do on acoustics, you will her most chords going extremely sharp. Electrics require a lighter fretting hand and a more precise picking hand...
If you're primarily an acoustic player, there's nothing in the U.N. Charter that says you can't use heavier strings on an electric. Since you're new to the game - BTW I've been playing electric since 1964 - you may not realize that your "classic" electric guitars (LP/SG/335, Strat/Tele/Jaguar/Jazzmaster, Gretsch and Guild hollowbodies, etc.) were factory-equipped with 12-52 strings (usually flatwounds) back in the day, and at least in the early stages of your journey you might want to do likewise in the interest of easier transition and increased familiarity; of course, there's also the fringe benefit of "woodier" tone (especially with single-coil pickups) and a stronger signal due to the increased vibrating mass. Until very recently I never used anything lighter than 12's on any of my electrics (13's on my jazzboxes), and IME there's no sacrifice of playability as long as you've got a good professional setup (at a minimum you'll need a truss-rod adjustment, nut slot filing, action/intonation adjustment at the bridge, and possibly a fret leveling as well); try it - you may never go back to skinny strings - which leads me to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
...Just get a '52 Tele and '64 Princeton or Deluxe and forget about the pedals...
+1...

While I'm sure you've walked into your local big-box store and been dazzled by the sight/sound of any one (or more) of the hundreds of stompboxes on display, IME Roy's got it right; focus on developing your fundamental technique/tone first (translation: guitar-cable-amp, built-in effects off, and forget about any pedals until you've mastered getting a variety of useful tonalities using nothing but your hands and the guitar's/amp's controls) - the same way you mastered acoustic guitar, and the same way we did it back in the old days. You've already got the Tele (and you can set it up as they did in '52 until you're ready to step up to something better, either replacement PU's or a new instrument), but that J-35 in the background tells me you know a little something about good guitar tone - and while the gift-pack amp is OK for backstage tune-up/warm-up or a nine-year-old just starting out, I think you're going to outgrow it sooner than later; whether you go with tubes or (analog) solid-state is up to you - IME the modeling rigs are best left to recording situations or working cover bands, where you need "that sound" in a hurry - but you might want to take a look at what your goals are (FWIW two of the five people in my current band never expected to be playing out - did our first show last Saturday), and what level of equipment you'll require to meet your needs. W.D.'s suggestions are based on his own tonal preferences - great combination BTW, but your ultimate requirements may be drastically different (as are my own) - but the intent behind them is sound: buy right the first time, and the only reasons you'll need to buy again are more power/headroom or added variety...

Good luck - use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 PM

Good advice. Much appreciated. It's easy to get caught up in all the add on effects when coming from an acoustic background.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftime View Post
Good advice. Much appreciated. It's easy to get caught up in all the add on effects when coming from an acoustic background.
The Yamaha THC10 is a fun amp to play with, because you can plug your computer into it and play backing tracks and plug your guitar into it and play leads and rhythm along with the track. It's like you are instantly in a band. You can also plug in headphones.

For jamming around though, nothing beats a tube amp. The tone, the volume, the feel of it is all part of the fun.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 AM

Congrats, but I actually noticed the Gibson first! lol

I love electric guitars, but after playing strictly electric for almost 20 years, I hit a brick wall of boredom. Acoustic saved my relationship with the guitar. I still play electric occasionally, but I could live with it I think...

Of course, now I want a Tele!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:05 AM

Smile

[QUOTE=Steve DeRosa;5486415]If you're primarily an acoustic player, there's nothing in the U.N. Charter that says you can't use heavier strings on an electric. Since you're new to the game - BTW I've been playing electric since 1964 - you may not realize that your "classic" electric guitars (LP/SG/335, Strat/Tele/Jaguar/Jazzmaster, Gretsch and Guild hollowbodies, etc.) were factory-equipped with 12-52 strings (usually flatwounds) back in the day, and at least in the early stages of your journey you might want to do likewise in the interest of easier transition and increased familiarity; of course, there's also the fringe benefit of "woodier" tone (especially with single-coil pickups) and a stronger signal due to the increased vibrating mass. Until very recently I never used anything lighter than 12's on any of my electrics (13's on my jazzboxes), and IME there's no sacrifice of playability as long as you've got a good professional setup (at a minimum you'll need a truss-rod adjustment, nut slot filing, action/intonation adjustment at the bridge, and possibly a fret leveling as well); try it - you may never go back to skinny strings - which leads me to:

[/QUOTE

Hi Steve,

I'm not totally wet behind the ears w/the electric. Everything you say makes sense, but UN Charter aside (), I'm totally fine using 10's and using/utilizing a different skill set on my electrics.

I'm still a far more efficient acoustic player than electric, but w/6 years on the acoustic and just less than 2 on the electric, I expect to be and I'm totally okay with it. Easing my grip has actually been helpful with my acoustic playing too - as I destroy frets faster than almost anyone on the planet.

I was simply offering some advice that a electric newbie may need to hear. The things I offered as advice are a given at your level, and have been for years, but for a newbie - perhaps insight for them from someone who hasn't climbed too high on the mountain yet.

For many weeks I thought I had intonation problems, even though my setups showed being dead on at the 12th fret. Turned out to be my gonzo L hand.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Hi Steve,

I'm not totally wet behind the ears w/the electric. Everything you say makes sense, but UN Charter aside (), I'm totally fine using 10's and using/utilizing a different skill set on my electrics...

I was simply offering some advice that a electric newbie may need to hear. The things I offered as advice are a given at your level, and have been for years, but for a newbie - perhaps insight for them from someone who hasn't climbed too high on the mountain yet.

For many weeks I thought I had intonation problems, even though my setups showed being dead on at the 12th fret. Turned out to be my gonzo L hand.
All understood, Roy - never even hinted that you didn't know what you were talking about (quite the contrary - reference my second paragraph); don't know if you've had any teaching experience - especially with younger students - but I have (40+ years worth), and I encountered the same problem with my kids back in the early/mid-70's when they began swapping the factory flatwound 12's for 9's/10's, and couldn't understand why their guitars suddenly sounded thin, buzzy, and out of tune (needless to say Mom and Dad weren't happy campers either). Again speaking as a (happily retired) teacher, considering the guy's a newbie to electric (as you state) I assume nothing including, given the title of this thread, his willingness to cultivate the entirely different skill set (which we both utilize) you mention; the option I proposed was based on tried-and-proven experience - restrung a lot of guitars, dropped a lot of bridges, tweaked a lot of truss rods, and made a whole lot of people happy - and IME the same approach would, at the very least, allow the OP to make a quicker/easier transition while he acquires familiarity with a new medium. Should he choose to move to lighter strings somewhere down the line, that's cool - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all - but by the same token he may, as I and many others have done, decide to try to maintain the same feel on both acoustic and electric instruments while still approaching each with a different mindset...
Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM

Smile s'all good in the hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
All understood, Roy - never even hinted that you didn't know what you were talking about (quite the contrary - reference my second paragraph); don't know if you've had any teaching experience - especially with younger students - but I have (40+ years worth), and I encountered the same problem with my kids back in the early/mid-70's when they began swapping the factory flatwound 12's for 9's/10's, and couldn't understand why their guitars suddenly sounded thin, buzzy, and out of tune (needless to say Mom and Dad weren't happy campers either). Again speaking as a (happily retired) teacher, considering the guy's a newbie to electric (as you state) I assume nothing including, given the title of this thread, his willingness to cultivate the entirely different skill set (which we both utilize) you mention; the option I proposed was based on tried-and-proven experience - restrung a lot of guitars, dropped a lot of bridges, tweaked a lot of truss rods, and made a whole lot of people happy - and IME the same approach would, at the very least, allow the OP to make a quicker/easier transition while he acquires familiarity with a new medium. Should he choose to move to lighter strings somewhere down the line, that's cool - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all - but by the same token he may, as I and many others have done, decide to try to maintain the same feel on both acoustic and electric instruments while still approaching each with a different mindset...
It's all good, never took exception to any of it. And no, no teaching experience with guitar, ever. Not good enough to even if I wanted to.

Just 2 guys offering different POV's.

Honestly, never even thought about the way you describe, even though it makes total sense. Just kept the electrics strung with what came on 'em and learned what I could. If I had to do it over again, I would at least consider the route you're talking about.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-25-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Enjoy the heck out of it! Acoustic has always been my favorite, but I have always loved the electric too and play mine all the time. I have 3 Telecasters (one is a Squier) and love them all. Playing electric will open new doors and introduce you to a totally different side of guitar . Everyone who plays guitar needs at least one electric.

Oh and yes it can become a money pit, so if you decide to get into this deeper make sure to do your research and find what you need for the style you want to play. Through much trial and error I learned the hard way that I can keep it simple and still get everything I could ever want out of an electric. For most guys a decent guitar, amp, and a couple pedals are all we really need, though most of us acquire 10x more than that in our search...Learn from my mistakes, if you will, and it will save you a lot of cash and time wasted.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 PM

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup...ypes&order_by=

Replace those cheap pickups and that Squire will sound more like a regular Telecaster! (or better than)
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault

Last edited by James_214ce; 09-25-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:52 PM

Thanks everyone for some great advice and input. Always fun to try something outside your comfort zone!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftime View Post
Hi everyone. First post in electric forum but after all this time never even trying an electric I picked up a squire package from a local kid who got it as a gift and never took it out of the box. So cheap I had to grab it. Hope this doesn't start a new (expensive) obsession. Lol. Now just gotta work on fitting my fingers into that narrow nut width!
Rob
Enjoy your new Fender electric and if you get tired of your Gibson J-35, send it my way! Rock On!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-26-2017, 07:03 AM

Congratulations on your first electric guitar!
My 1st guitar was a cheap electric, in '68.
My 1st amp was a 150w Peavey head with a 4x10 cab. I damaged my hearing with that setup.
The neighbors and family were a little grumpy and some threats of eviction and police were made.
It wasn't my fault that I could only play Iron Man and Smoke on the Water!

As Steve said; try some heavier strings for better tone. I use 11s, 12s, and 13s on mine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars