The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2002, 04:00 PM

I think the papoose is a fun little thing to play around on.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:28 PM

The parent company of Tacoma Guitars makes Pianos in Korea. The plant in Washington (a beauty!) made spruce tops for their pianos as well as other generic wood products. They have a large, well equipped wood mill. The guitar side was orginally set up with machines from their Korean factory (molds, special presses and specialized guitar making tools) and they hired a terrific guy from Martin, Mike Dresdner to put it all together. Mike (hope I get this right) designed the Martin (D-1 I think) inexpensive guitar and did some really clever things to make the guitar easier to produce. He is a wonderful fellow and a lot of fun to be around, as well as being a fountain of knowlege on glues and finishing wood.
As far as Taylor buying wood from Tacoma or the parent company, I don't know what it would have been. Check the person who said that and find out what they mean. I am just don't remember them being a "supplier" of woods to Taylor on a regular vendor basis.......
Sorry, long winded post...!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:15 AM

I played thru a wall of tacoma's this weekend at a local shop, and I couldn't find one that would make me wanna buy one. I played a few high line Tacomas and thought they sounded dead. Then I went to the "Taylor Room" and played a 310, which blew all Tacomas outta the water. I also played some nice sounding seagull guitars that were under $400. I was very suprised! I think I found a decent guitar for a beater...I don't wanna haul my Taylor around on camping trips and stuff

2003 D-28
My modified Epi Dot
Old 08-30-2002, 01:52 PM

Thumbs up tacoma

I found this old thread on Tacoma and thought it was interesting. I recently played a Tacoma DR38. It was very good. I noticed that everyone on this thread seems to focus on the sub $1000 guitars that Tacoma makes. The DR38 is $1500-$2000 and really sounds like a $3000+ guitar. Has anyone else played the DR38? Check it out before you buy your next guitar. I was going to buy a 710 or 910 for many more dollars but I am leaning towards this Tacoma now. Money is less of an issue for me than sound quality and I was very impressed with the model I played.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:05 PM

One of my friends has a dreadnought model which sounds fairly good. Another friend has the one that has asymetrical soundhole at the top. I think the model had the name chief in it. Anyway, it sounds ok finger picking litely but it sounds extremely tinny (like a Martin backpacker only way bigger and more expensive). The thing sounds abrasively bad to where people feel it's disruptive when he trys to lead worship with it. It was my friend's first guitar and he feels bad because I had offered him my 410 for what he paid for that piece but he wanted a new guitar. He's kicking himself now.

I'm not dogging Tacoma at all but I will dog that particular model for anything but very gentle playing.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:20 PM

I agree about the "Chief" model, very tiny, and to me cheap sounding. Too bad. I think their traditional solid wood instruments are OK however.

Roman
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Old 09-03-2002, 12:09 PM

This is interesting. I am shopping around for a guitar. I played a Taylor 314 on Saturday and my wife and I were both stunned by its tone.

Then I played a used Tacoma DR38 today and was really impressed with it. I actually liked the playability of it a little more than the Taylor. Maybe since my current guitar is such a junker, I had a hard time adjusting to the low action on the Taylor. At any rate, the shop guy was asking $795 for the DR38! This seems like a great price to me.

One hesitation I had was there was a tiny bit of space (~ 1 millimeter) between the neck and the body of the guitar when looking down from a playing position. How does Tacoma build their necks? Dovetail or "bolt-on"?
Old 09-03-2002, 12:21 PM

Tacomas have bolt-on necks. The Chief and Road King (with the offset soundhole) have Fender-style necks without heels, and with the bolts going through from the back of the body. The regular flat-tops have two bolts going from the heel through the heel block, much like the original Taylor design. If you look inside, you'll see a label on the heel block that hides the bolt holes.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:26 PM

I have the "Chief Classical" which I think is discontinued. It's pretty much the same shape and size as a Grand Concert but with nylon strings. It cost under $400 and is great for the price. I also have a DM10 that I donated to church. I used that guitar for a lot of college and thought it sounded great. Just depends on what you like, I guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification