The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-16-2023, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Maybe the shipping bottleneck is not so much an Emerald limitation but a matter of capacity at the local postal facilities in a rural area.

How does that even work with standard shipping? Does an Emerald employee drive the packages to the local post office each week?

In my imagination I can see the folks at the post office quietly enjoying their morning coffee when one of them suddenly cries: "Oh crap, there's the guy from Emerald again!"
They ship via UPS but I guess the principle is the same. As an aside, I was wondering if any Thursday buyers had received UPS shipping info yet....

Last edited by RP; 07-16-2023 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
They ship via UPS but I guess the principle is the same. As an aside, I was wondering if any Thursday buyers had received UPS shipping info yet....
It's timing. I have no idea how often Emerald ships these days, but back when I bought my first one, it was once a week, on Fridays. IF the box got to the Irish Post Office before their truck went out, and IF there was no delay at Heathrow, and IF there was no holdup at US Customs, and IF they got it out to the Post Office in NY with the Priority Delivery, it would be there in a few days. These days, Priority Delivery through USPS may take 5 or 6 days in the US, where it used to be 2 days.

Living on the "edge of the country" two-day Prime delivery often takes 5 days. Fed Ex often can't find our house, and UPS never gets a signature when something is shipped with "signature required."

We have gotten used to longer delivery times since Covid. Amazon put a fulfillment center in McAllen, TX, so our Amazon orders now go there first and then get transferred to USPS, where it often takes 2 more days to go 75 miles.

We'll be moving to the Phoenix area later this year... I can't wait to try out Amazon's "2 hour delivery" for something I'm not in a hurry for.

Yes, I digressed once again as far as how fast something might get from Emerald to your door... timing. And in the words of the philosopher Tom Petty: "Waiting is the hardest part." Or perhaps in the case of this unprecedented sale from Emerald: getting the order in before someone else snatches your first choice is the hardest part. Not as catchy for a song lyric, though.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 07-16-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

And on the bright side: there's going to be a bunch of fun NGD posts in the near future!
Old 07-16-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Standard (free) shipping is by Irish Post. UPS is offered as a paid option (I believe it was $159-ish). As I mentioned earlier, I got a tracking number from Irish Post. As of late Friday, their web site indicates that Emerald has created a shipment but Irish Post has not received it yet.

Fortunately, I'm a patient guy. I've been waiting to order since the time the new X7 was announced, so a little while longer won't be a hardship.
Old 07-16-2023, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

A couple of not-so-random thoughts:

1) it occurs to me that this sale is a smart way to do some market research - which models are the most popular? What should we be making more or less of for stock? X30s, for example, don’t seem to be exactly flying out of the door.
2) I wonder how they choose what to build for stock. Employee free-for-all in the builder? Running low on X7s?

The cool thing about the Emerald (and other composite makers) model is that once they’ve got the mould, they can pop one out pretty much on demand. I’d be willing to bet that Mr. Hay loses sleep over how to offer typically chosen options at a lower price point.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-16-2023, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

I’ll know how shipping is tomorrow. My X20 was in last Friday’s shipping video (7/14). UPS sent me a notice it was picked up Friday and will be here tomorrow evening. That’s only four days. I think they are optimistic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0204.jpg (13.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.jpg (27.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 07-17-2023, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
I’ll know how shipping is tomorrow. My X20 was in last Friday’s shipping video (7/14). UPS sent me a notice it was picked up Friday and will be here tomorrow evening. That’s only four days. I think they are optimistic.
It could happen.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It could happen.
It could indeed, but it’s a tad unlikely. My recent purchase showed a similarly optimistic delivery date, but actually went:

Pickup Scan: 6/30
Origin Scan: 7/3
Delivery: 7/6

Quite what it was doing between Pickup and Origin scans, I’ll never know - but it was a weekend, so that may have had something to do with it.

Regardless, expedited shipping in 5-7 days was what I paid for, and was exactly what I got.
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-17-2023, 09:35 PM

I bought an X20 baritone yesterday. I’ve wanted a baritone guitar, and I was thinking I’d get a wood one, but I don’t have room on my current guitar rack. I figure that an Emerald, I can hang on the wall or put on a guitar stand. That’s what I do with my current X20. I live in Manhattan, and space is an issue. I love the way the Emeralds look and sound. And I like the durability! I’m excited.
Emerald X20 2021
Maton EBG 808TE 2011
Stonebridge OM32LMDB 2015
Martin D16e (GC Special) 2020
Taylor GS Mini 2015
Taylor 420 1995
Martin 00-17 1953 (with daughter)
Yamaha 325e 2014 (traded)
Old 07-18-2023, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Mine made it to its “final” shipping point on the 17th, but now the UPS dose of reality has surfaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0208.jpg (27.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0207.jpg (23.1 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-18-2023, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

I received the following email this morning:

Thank you for ordering one of our guitars during the sale. We have experienced an unprecedented level of sales in the past few days and already our shipping department is experiencing a 5 day backlog.
We ensure that every guitar goes through a quality check process prior to dispatch and we cannot rush this process so please allow up to 7 days for dispatch. You will receive tracking details by email when your guitar has been shipped.
We know you will be excited to get your new guitar but we appreciate your patience at this time.

Thank you kindly
Emerald Guitars
Old 07-18-2023, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mine made it to its “final” shipping point on the 17th, but now the UPS dose of reality has surfaced.
If it’s any consolation (or encouragement?) mine took 3 days from when it reached the same point.
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-18-2023, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Yep. Mines taking an interesting route, but now due to arrive this Thursday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0209.jpg (29.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-18-2023, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep. Mines taking an interesting route, but now due to arrive this Thursday.
Yours got out before "the big crush!"
Old 07-18-2023, 12:34 PM

Deleted...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber