The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-26-2017, 11:10 AM

Default NK Forster Model D for Osaka show

Planning to go to Osaka, Japan in a couple of weeks. I never need much of a reason to go to Japan, but a guitar show is one of the best ones I can think of. Not done a guitar show for years. 2008 was the last one.

It was the end of last year when I decided to go. Then I realised I had nothing to take, so I put this together - one of my Model D guitars. It was an excuse to try out a new way of laminating sides. The last few years I've been building very heavy bodies in order to make the soundboard work harder. But I wanted to see if I could make the top work just as hard without adding the mass. So I came up with a different way of laminating. And it works. Really well. It's a very different voice from my regular guitars. Big, warm and full yet still with clarity. The soundboard is my SS design, based on the old Sobell design. So this is a Model D-SS.

It had been so long since I've made a Model D (why don't folk order them from me?) and I'd thrown away the mould in the move to Germany. So I came up with a novel way to get the shape I wanted based on my Model S. I covered the process on a blog I write from time to time for luthiers:

http://www.theluthierblog.com/articl...ign-new-shape/

The rosette harks back to a design I used a lot about 8 years ago. Blue, black and white lines with "crowsfoot."

It's not just been ages since I've made a Model D, it's been a long time since I've sat on the sofa playing one of my guitars for so long. It's a lovely fingerstyle guitar. If the guitar and I make it back from Japan safe and sound I'll send it to Ian Stephenson and Tom Fletcher to make a video.

I plan to take some posh pictures this week, but for now, enjoy the iPod snaps. Here is a little blog post about the guitar from last year too:

http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/blog...fied-d-guitar/

Nigel

www.nkforsterguitars.com

Last edited by N K Forster; 03-26-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:25 AM

Very beautiful. I love the rosette, the colors, the shapes! Unique cutaway as well. I would be surprised if you brought this home. Have a great trip.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:44 PM

Wow, that's a radical cut-away! Beautiful guitar - enjoy the trip and the show.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:16 PM

Default guitar

looks like a stellar build
Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM

Spent an evening messing about with me camera.

Nigel
www.nkforsterguitars.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop