The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-28-2016, 12:44 AM

For vocal I've been using a Rode NT1, Shure SM86 and a Senn 835. Mainly use the SM86 which is a condenser.

Yesterday I bought an SM58 bcs they are everywhere you go to play and I figured I should have one just so I'm used to using them.

Anyway, turns out that I like SM58 and if that was all I had I'd be happy enough with it. Seems to me it's smoother than the 835; doesn't have the range of the SM86 or the Rode studio mic but it has it's own style that I like better than the 835 which, of the ones I mentioned, is the approximate equivalent of the 58.

So, IMO, the SM58 would be good base to start with.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

So to clarify you are not looking to record but to simply amplify your guitr and now vocal and merely for practice. Yes ?

So the good news is an inexpensive mic will be ok

The bad news is if your amp only has one input the only way you will be able to amplify the guitar and voice at the same time, is to plug the mic in and play and sing into it and forgo plugging the guitar in

And apparently your amp does not have phantom power so a dynamic mic seems to be the choice

With this in mind As Sage 97 suggested, the best an by far the most efficient thing to do is FIRST decide on a current budget range.

The SM 58 will work but is basically considered to be a close proximity mic ( for vocals right close to the mic screen) so there may very well be a a better choice in a dynamic to suit trying to be far enough away to get the guitar into the picture.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-28-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tnezz View Post
Well jeez. I'm glad you asked dot because I went to look and all I see is the one input for the guitar. I'm guessing this will not suffice as a mic input. It's a Fender Squire 15 amp. So I guess I'm in the market for a amplifier as well. Any suggestions out there?
Looks like you have more research to do. Acoustic amp prices are all over the map so again, start with a price point and look for an amp with at least one guitar input and another for a vocal mic input. Try a few and see which one you like the best.

Happy hunting.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tnezz View Post
Well jeez. I'm glad you asked dot because I went to look and all I see is the one input for the guitar. I'm guessing this will not suffice as a mic input. It's a Fender Squire 15 amp. So I guess I'm in the market for a amplifier as well. Any suggestions out there?
Marshall and Schertler both make Acoustic amps that accommodate both microphone (XLR) and guitar (1/4") inputs. I have a Marshall AS100d as well as an SR (now Schertler) Jam 150. They are both fantastic amps.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:25 PM

Pick up a cheap mini-mixer with phantom power and you can combine your instrument and a vocal mic to use with any guitar amp.

Behringer Zenyx 502 will set you back a whole $40.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-28-2016 at 10:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD