The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-31-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
I'm afraid I'm not technical enough to know if you could cobble something together to power 18v pedals.
Having a tiny, self-powered board makes it practical to have my own effects with me...
If you are Ok with soldering, you can DIY by adding a tiny voltage step-up converter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011EBSKK0 (or a similar one) and a two-wire cable ending with whatever connector your MXR accepts and a small project box (radioshack or any other).

I use an USB battery for powering my Zoom A3 and Ditto X2 looper exactly how it is described in this thread.
In addition to that, am building an adapter with that converter for powering up a Cool Tube preamp in my Takamine guitars from USB, primarily for practicing at home and not changing AA batteries all the time.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:09 PM

Excellent idea. Thanks! I picked up a cheap power bank at Aldi's the other day. Now I have a new use for it.

God of Thunder
Old 01-11-2016, 02:05 AM

- Buying from the MyVolt website costs twice as much with shipping from France as ordering the exact same part on Amazon with free shipping. Of course I figured this out after ordering one (sigh). That and the MyVolt website might be the single hardest to navigate bit of code I've yet to see.

- The MyVolt converter provides 9V to a tip positive barrel connector. All of my effects (TC Electronics, Electro Harmonix, pretty much same for everything mainstream) are tip negative.

- Does anyone know of a USB battery to 9V tip negative barrel converter? There are converter cables available but planning to send the MyVolt back (the text said tip negative.. what they sent was described as a power supply for a Vtech training tablet. Hmm)

Last edited by Spook; 01-11-2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:08 PM

Just for information, Mischief, you mention getting a 12V LiPo cell, such a beast does not exist natively as LiPo cells have a nominal output of 3.7 Volts (which is why power tools employing them have odd voltages like 14.8V or 18.5V) any configuration of cells has to come out at a multiple of 3.7 so you could get 11.1V or 14.8V. I'm not sure if an inverter would be comfortable with 14.8 (a car battery, when the engine is running sits at around 13.8V so the inverter may be happy with that) and 1.1 would be too low. Any LiPo power pack (like the Anker one mentioned above) needs either step up or step down/VR mechanism to get our usual 9 or 12V (or 5V for USB charging too). I imagine the Anker PP uses a step up voltage converter which would allow the same tech to be used for all the three voltages it can supply.

HTH

BTW, i
I've been trying to get my Anker PP to power my Roland AC33 via the line wart 12VDC socket (as opposed to the battery connectors) without success. No problem with my other kit though. I may try it with an inverter just to see if it's doable but it's probably not a practical solution and a mid sized LA gel cell would make more sense in that application.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-11-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
- The MyVolt converter provides 9V to a tip positive barrel connector. All of my effects (TC Electronics, Electro Harmonix, pretty much same for everything mainstream) are tip negative.
This one works just fine with my TC Electronic Ditto X2 and Zoom A3:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

You can always check its polarity with a multimeter.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbakh View Post
This one works just fine with my TC Electronic Ditto X2 and Zoom A3:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

You can always check its polarity with a multimeter.
That is the same part being sold by MyVolt. If you look at the symbol for polarity on the device it shows center positive. The Ditto and Zoom may be able to deal with the wrong polarity.. not all pedals can. Certainly not something I recommend experimenting with. You can fry a pedal by plugging in the wrong polarity power.

My Fluke says it's 9.39V. Center positive.

Last edited by Spook; 01-11-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
That is the same part being sold by MyVolt. If you look at the symbol for polarity on the device it shows center positive. The Ditto and Zoom may be able to deal with the wrong polarity.. not all pedals can. Certainly not something I recommend experimenting with. You can fry a pedal by plugging in the wrong polarity power.

My Fluke says it's 9.39V. Center positive.
I ordered that exact same part directly from MyVolts website and it was centre negative. They probably used the same image for different parts I suppose.

This is the exact part I received from MyVolts. Am now powering a few Boss pedals with it now on various boards.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:49 PM

Thanks Bearclaw.. good to know the right part exists. I ordered from them based on the product description which was center negative. Apparently just one of those mistakes in shipping that are going to happen from time to time. They haven't responded to my email yet so we'll see.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaw87 View Post
I ordered that exact same part directly from MyVolts website and it was centre negative.
+1
I just checked - mine shows center negative as well.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks Bearclaw.. good to know the right part exists. I ordered from them based on the product description which was center negative. Apparently just one of those mistakes in shipping that are going to happen from time to time. They haven't responded to my email yet so we'll see.
Their shipping is pretty messy, my first package got lost in the mail. MyVolts is pretty responsive usually so they should send you a replacement.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:19 PM

I suppose if you ordered one of these and it was center positive, you could remedy with one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ter-for-1-spot
Old 01-15-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmalley View Post
I suppose if you ordered one of these and it was center positive, you could remedy with one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ter-for-1-spot
Thanks for taking the trouble to find the link Denmalley. I probably even have one of those from my Voodoo power supply setup but I was thinking I was going to send the wrong MyVolt part back. Still haven't heard from them so may not have a choice in the matter.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:44 PM

Default Now we can power our pedals with inexpensive, rechargeable smartphone power banks

Thanks for the thread. I've ordered an Anker battery and a couple 9 volt adapters. Should be a fun experiment 🔋
Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 AM

I found another great use for this is to supplement the batteries in my zoom h2 recorder. I like to mount mine on a mic stand to be able to record and hear how things sounded from FOH, especially when I'm running my own sound. Seems like I always have trouble finding an outlet where I want to place the recorder and the batteries don't have enough juice to get through a 3+ hour gig.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:48 AM

Denmalley,
Great idea. I never thought of that. I just started to use a looping pedal at the end of my chain prior to the speakers I use. I wanted to record a complete song during sound check, to allow playback where I could walk out and hear what everyone else does. I never thought of using a zoom recorder for this purpose. Where do you place this device?

Yes, I can bet this battery pack would be a perfect fit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification