The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Guest 829

Default Small neck repair -- will it be okay ?

Hi all

I bought a stunning Larrivee yesterday in mint condition from a reputable shop.

The guitar has a barely visible repair to the neck which extends from the near the nut (bottom E) to perhaps 5mm in the direction of the secons fret.

Assuming that this repair has been done properly can someone put my mind at rest that it won't suddenly come undone mid gig etc.

To be honest I doubt this shop would sell anything that was not in less than playable shape but I'm a bit worried.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 AM

As long as the repair was done properly it should not cause any more grief in normal service.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 AM

This is an ideal situation for a neck crack, because string tension tends to hold the crack together. In many cases, this crack occurs when the guitar is shipped with the strings loose. The shipping box falls over toward the back of the guitar, creating a 'whiplash' on the neck. This is why I always pad the headstock front and back when shipping a guitar. Other contributing factors are heavy tuners and no neck support in the case under the nut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair