The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Best websites for fingerstyle learning...

I"m sure it's been covered, but I didn't participate, so I'll start by putting a link to

http://www.ericlugosch.com/lessonhome.html

This is one of the best sites I have discovered. It includes music, slow recording, fast recording and history of song, and includes easy, medium and hard example songs. Have to like the style of music. I love it.

Post some great sites please.

Scales, songs, whatever works.

Stuart
Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 AM

Stuart,

Recently there have been a number of posts related to learning fingerstyle.

Try this guy for beginning. It's helped me. You can buy Huttlingers DVD's too. I did but haven't wanted to get into them yet. I find the lessons too dang boring and rather learn via a multitude of songs that vary a bit.

http://www.guitarnick.com/index.html

Jeremy.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:45 PM

Stuart, thanks for posting the Eric Lugosch link. I've been playing around with some of the tunes and it's been great so far!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Default RE Best Site for fingerpicking lessons

I don't know about the best, but I been logging on this one for month or two now and have learned quite a bit. Let me know what you think.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/
Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

thanks guys, appreciate the input,

Jeremy, had saw that and have investigated. Not bad, and will dig in a little further. There are far more sites than that out there, and I know I've only found a few.

Franic, yeh, it's an amazing site, I wish eric would keep going. Try Eighth of January, nice piece. I play about three of his pieces now, quite well.

Frybaby, I'll give that site a try.

Here's another site. With a few lessons, and if you're into celtic you can buy his sheet music and some tunes. Simon Fox is the musician.

http://www.deepnorthmusic.com/scrapbook.htm

Listen to "Kettle of Fish" song eight, and "Smithy's Porridge" - Song 12. I am working on these two. I have mastered "Smithy's Porridge" (not bad - strange tuning), but "Kettle of Fish" is a tough song.

There is a lesson on percussive Thuds that you need to learn if you try Kettle of fish. They are hard to do (I found).

Have fun with it.

Stuart
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frybaby View Post
I don't know about the best, but I been logging on this one for month or two now and have learned quite a bit. Let me know what you think.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/
If they had per-song pricing I think it would be worth it. But with it's current price structure and the inability to download the videos you're are paying to watch, I'm not hooked. The free lessons are good, but nowhere near as good for fingerstyle as Eric Lugosch - and ALL his stuff is free... For fingerstyle instruction, nothing and no-one can compare to Eric...IMHO

Rc
Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM

My two favorites

www.homespuntapes.com
Happy Traum's site with boatloads of instrucutional material in every category and skill level.

and

www.breakdownway.com
Jorma Kaoukonen (and others) breakdown a single song and you buy the lesson.

Good luck!
David
David's CDs
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
inability to download the videos you're are paying to watch
If you are using Firefox as your browser you can get the addon called DownloadHelper and then you would be able to download the videos in .flv format. Of course you would need an flv player to then watch them which is easy enough to get free.

Ho'okani

Kamaka Ukulele 6 String
Tahitian Ukulele 8 String
Ovation 12 String
Ovation Elite 12 String
Adamas 1598 12 String
Takamine 6 String
Taylor K64ce All Koa 12 String
Old 08-14-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookani View Post
If you are using Firefox as your browser you can get the addon called DownloadHelper and then you would be able to download the videos in .flv format. Of course you would need an flv player to then watch them which is easy enough to get free.

Ho'okani
I use this all the time, and VLC Player plays .flv files great!
TTM-KAE

"Whether you have good taste or not depends on how many people agree with you" - George Martin
Old 08-14-2009, 05:32 PM

As I understand it Per price songs are coming. But otherwise i agree. Just does not seem, at least at present worth the money.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookani View Post

Ho'okani
No. Some subscription websites only 'stream' the videos specifically in order to prevent downloading. I use Download helper for YouTube videos and have an FLV player, but it can't be used for certain sites including Totallyguitars and Jamplay...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write