The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Fender G-DEC 30

Having just gone over to the electric side, I used my birthday gift certificate at a local music store to purchase a Fender G-DEC 30. Even if one sticks to Fender equipment, as I have, the selection of guitars and amps available is dizzying. Although, I say this as a 58 year old who can remember the day when the choice of sneakers (Converse All-Stars, of course) ran the gamut from black or white and hightop or lowtop. After considering various Fender amps from the lowly solid states to the mighty tube models, I went with a G-DEC 30. Despite my fantasies to the contrary, my choice would ideally allow me to have fun, improve my playing, and continue to perform to packed audiences from my living room futon. Any other players out there want to share their hopes, dreams, and uses of the G-DEC..........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Hey,

I don't have a G-DEC but when I saw your post I remembered this vid of Eric Johnson using one and thought you might like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCF267KHEPg

Mark
Old 05-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience, jrporter.

Yes, I have one and I really love it too. I started with G-Dec 15 and traded up to this G-Dec 30. The main reason was not for the wattage. 15 watts would have been enough for my home playing, but for the foot switch which is only available for the 30 watts model. I find the foot switch is very useful and can't play without it. The other nice thing about the Fender G-Dec is the portablility. I can bring it to anywhere without breaking my back (I am not a young fellow)

Sound wise, it is OK, not the greatest. So I've got myself a Boss DR880 and hook up with a Hartke A70 Bass Amp. The bass and the drum sound so good that it is almost like playing with a band. The guitar sound is not too bad either. It has built in effect so that I can have 40 different guitar sounds. (Not as good as my Fender Super Amp but much better than the Fender G-Dec) The only drawback is the Bass Amp is very heavy and is difficult to haul around. So I keep it at home all the time and use Fender G-Dec for outside jamming.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:36 AM

Seems expensive when you can by a Fender Super Champ XD tube amp for less.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250
Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 AM

Sounds like we share a 'kindred spirit', except it was keds for me. I am also 58 and play to vast audiences from my living room.
I was trying to decide about a G-DEC when a blues jr. unexpectedly came into my hands. You have rekindled my desire to get one. Thanks to Ooogie Boogie for the youtube link.
Terry B.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:38 AM

I was planning on buying a G-Dec and doing some research I came across the LIne 6 spider jam. It was more expensive but it has more options than the g-dec. Overall I think either is great to have so that practicing alone is more fun.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

After a week of owning the G-DEC, I really couldn't be more pleased with my choice. Although there are some musicial styles I just don't see myself using, there are enough clean channels and classic backing tracks to turn this 58 year old into a living room rock hero................
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

I had a G DEC30 for 1 year and i sold it because it was hard for me to get use to and make changes for different sounds, i know i could go to the pre sets. i sold it and bought a Roland X30 cube. i like the tone out of the Roland better than the Fender. but that could just be me. i know the G DEC has allot more options but it was just to hard to make the changes. for the right person i think the G Dec is a great amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars