The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Default The Feel of a Composite Acoustic?

I have a Cargo on order and it will be a while until I get.

I am also looking for Dread-type guitar. a Strummer. I have narrowed it down to Larrivee on the woodside (probably an L-03) or a CA-L (dread-type) I presently have a Larrivee OM, btw

The weather here is insane, but the Cargo will cover most of that. Still, the "indestructible" nature of the CA is a bonus.

So, since I can't play one where I am (Northern Japan). I was wondering how they felt to play. I don't think I am really making it clear. How is the vibe of a CA guitar? Well, you guys will get it.

thanks

david
Old 05-04-2008, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

I have played both CA and Rainsong guitars and been wowed by how good they both feel and sound. They don't act like plastic because they're not. They don't feel exactly like wood... but IMO they are wonderful.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 AM

I'm sitting here with my CA Legacy COT (dreadnought) on my lap and the vibe is just as comfortable as with any of my wood bodied guitars. It plays great, feels good on my lap, and sounds wonderful. They're awesome guitars. And I don't have any concerns about it spending nearly a week outside with me here in the Florida temps/humidity, by the lake and around the campfire at a reunion we're having next month.

What part of Japan are you in? I spent 6 months in Misawa back in '89 and got to travel a bit from there. I loved the Cherry Blossom Festival...we had a blast.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:10 AM

I live in Misawa! We are in the Cherry Blosom time frame at the moment. It is a very strange place, but I like it more and more. People are friendly, food is good and it is safe... feels like a different planet

The dreadnought isn't contoured, how well does it sit, or rather sit with ya?
(How does it compare to other dreds you've played. I am use to the OM.. but I need a bigger strummer)

Did you consider the GX at time you got your guitar?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:21 AM

Make sure to take a trip to Lake Towada...that place is spectacular. Easily the most beautiful place I saw in Japan.

None of my guitars are contoured, so it feels the same in my lap as any of my guitars. I can switch off between an 00 sized guitar and any of my dreads with no issues, I really don't see where that would be a problem.

I didn't consider the GX...the store only had the Legacy when I was looking. I wasn't even looking for a composite guitar, just looking on the rack as usual and there was the CA. It had been brought from their other store (2-store family owned shop). I'd love to try some of the new CA guitars, but this store is no longer carrying them so I'll have to make a trip some time to the nearest dealer.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:49 AM

CA Dreads are very comfortable to play. Their bodies are a little thinner than a standard dread (or even the earlier CA versions) the area where you would find binding on a wood guitar is slightly radius, which further aids playing comfort. Amazingly stable guitars. I played a gig in direct sunlight Thursday and went to a restaurant for lunch afterwards where the guitar sat in the car, again in direct sunlight. That evening I went straight to my weekly band practice in an air conditioned room and didn't have to retune.

TC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber