The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2008, 02:00 PM

Default Video of the Cargo Travel Guitar

Hey everyone,

I posted a video on youtube for anyone who was curious to see/hear the Cargo Travel guitar. I knew they were sold out everywhere for now, but I called Sylvan music in Santa Cruz completely on a whim, and they happened to have one! Now I'll have a guitar to play in New Zealand!

If anyone has any questions they want to ask, feel free. It's a cool guitar. I hope the sound is loud enough for you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWEYXbl3T3Q

-Doron
Old 04-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the video! You've just pushed me over the edge to get one...if and when I can find it. Sounds much better than I would have anticipated.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Looks really nice & sounds pretty good too. Is that really a leftie?

2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin
2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster
Old 04-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the video. I am wondering if you can do some strumming demo (with and without a capo)for your next video? That is a nice sounding guitar. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:23 PM

Default Hey

Haha, no, it isn't a lefty. My camera just records that way. I don't have my capo with me here, but as soon as I get one I'll add some capoed movies. Any other requests?

I'll make another one with more strumming and fingerpicking to give a better taste of it. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:50 PM

I was thrown off by that too! It looked like a leftie, but then when you held up the gig bag and I saw the letters, I knew it was mirrored by the camera. If you hadn't shown the bag, I was going to have to google it to confirm that the Ireland flag on your shirt was backwards, haha.
Congrats on the new Cargo - I love mine
Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Nice! Thank you
Old 04-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Humanist

These guys have one in the Wine color, and will ship with or without electronics:

Five Star Guitars
2303 NW 185th Ave.
Hillsboro, OR 97124
503-439-9500
www.fivestarguitars.com

I'm not associated in any way, I just decided to look around to find one for myself, and I don't care for the Wine color...but these guys have one.

Tell them that I sent you!

Edit: I got their contact info right off the CA site...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 04-21-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

thanks for the video!

i'm so glad that there are new products out competing with baby taylors and little martins!!! the big manufacturers better get there acts together in that sector

larrivee, you too!! lower them prices on the parlors!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
"Big Daddy"

Thumbs up Thank you for the demo...

Hi Doron,

Thank you very much for doing the video for us.
I really appreciated the personal demonstration and review.
It really is an amazing little guitar with a "large guitar" sound!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banpreso View Post
i'm so glad that there are new products out competing with baby taylors and little martins!!! the big manufacturers better get there acts together in that sector

larrivee, you too!! lower them prices on the parlors!!!
Looks very interesting, but I'm not sure I agree with your analysis. I did a quick search and the list price of the Cargo appears to be more than twice the price of the Baby Taylor or Little Martin. At that price I'm not sure it's even competing with those.

It probably won't give Larrivee many sleepless nights either (I suspect the Parlors appeal to a very difference buyer.)

We don't all have the same needs/desires/objectives when buying a travel guitar, but a lot of people want something small, but also something not too expensive so that - should the worst happen - you're not out too much money. For me, the Cargo is getting a little too expensive to satisfy the second criteria (but then I thought that the Baby Taylor was almost too much!)

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm -- Winston Churchill
Old 04-22-2008, 09:06 AM

I am really intriqued by these. I had an Emerald X5 that I loved, but sold it to a friend who really needed it for what she did. I also didn't really need two composite guitars and I had just gotten my Rainsong.

Does a person really need a travel guitar to sound that good at that price?

Here is my opinion, for what it is worth. When I travel with my guitar, I either take my Baby Taylor for noodling around with or, I bite the bullet, get out my SKB airline case and take a good guitar if I am actually going for a gig or really need a great sounding guitar.

Anxious to hear other opinions.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I am really intriqued by these. I had an Emerald X5 that I loved, but sold it to a friend who really needed it for what she did. I also didn't really need two composite guitars and I had just gotten my Rainsong.

Does a person really need a travel guitar to sound that good at that price?

Here is my opinion, for what it is worth. When I travel with my guitar, I either take my Baby Taylor for noodling around with or, I bite the bullet, get out my SKB airline case and take a good guitar if I am actually going for a gig or really need a great sounding guitar.

Anxious to hear other opinions.
A month ago, my Baby Taylor got crushed while I was vacationing. I was able to track down and buy a Cargo. IMO, by comparison the BT is a toy -- the Cargo is a serious enough guitar. The Cargo offers peace of mind (re environment issues), ease of lugging around and as plane carry-on. The Cargo is worth the extra $. All JMO.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 AM

I'm glad the video has been a help to some of you. I bought a baby taylor years ago, with the intent of taking it everywhere with me to play (I was a student at Santa Cruz at the time...) But the main problems with it was the sound (which wasn't very good) and the fact that aside from it's size, I didn't feel totally comfortable taking it everywhere.

The main reason I got the cargo, aside from the sound, is because I can play it in the rain, freezing weather, and I just never have to worry about how the body will hold up. So it's more a practical thing than anything. To me, being able to play this is pouring rain, high on a mountain top in New Zealand, easily justifies the high price tag
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
*mahoganut*

Default Thanks much for the video and review

Very good review and video - thanks much DoronD!

I just posted my first impressions of a CA, and I think you've nailed my conclusion with your last comments:
"The main reason I got the cargo, aside from the sound, is because I can play it in the rain, freezing weather, and I just never have to worry about how the body will hold up. So it's more a practical thing than anything. To me, being able to play this is pouring rain, high on a mountain top in New Zealand, easily justifies the high price tag."
The four things I'd evaluate in a travel guitar - size, tone, damage resistance, and replacement cost - would give the Cargo a thumbs up for all but cost.

My Baby Taylor got a big thumbs up for tone over the (previous) Backpacker (flying colors) but does sound a bit thin and I appreciate your (and others') comparison with the Cargo. But if size were not a limiting factor, I'd opt for a full sized all-wood for tone (haven't heard the Cargo vs a full size all-wood, but based on my Player series investigations I'd personally opt for the wood).

For the damage resistance - temp, humidity, and structural strength - it looks like the Cargo stands alone. And if it's significantly better on tone than the baby Taylor and little Martin, that would sway me where I needed those attributes.

I have played around campfires, and led small worship services while camping with the Baby Taylor and the tone hasn't been a limitation - but achieving better tone while retaining the size and adding the ability to withstand the environment is a great step forward. I'm still considering the Cargo - for those reasons.

Thanks again for posting!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber