The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 PM

Default I am looking for an electric guitar is the epiphone SG a good choice?

I play on a church worship team. and I would like to get an electric guitar. I like the looks of the Epiphone SG. Any advice or helpful comments? I can't afford the gibson. I have been looking at the SG400 and SG400 custom Les Paul with three humbucker pick ups. I do not know if three are necessary. Anybody use the Epiphone?
I need some solid advice. Thanks.

Last edited by MLMiller; 04-09-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM

It strikes me as a little ironic that you want to buy a guitar with "devil horns" to play for church worship. But seriously, I tried a Gibson SG faded and hated the neck, and the pickups. I then played a Gibson SG standard which had a much nicer neck, and sounded almost exactly like my Gibson Les Paul, which is a good thing. I have never tried the Epiphone, but check out the 2 pickup model; I have been told it is a pretty good SG standard copy.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the comments. Very funny about the Devil Horns.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 PM

Not sure why this thread was duped (maybe an admin can combine it with this: http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=123239 ).

anyway, it sounds like you're basing your choice off of looks alone. First question: what type of sound do you want? Epi makes some really great guitars and most epi SGs sound very similar to the stereotypical gibson sound... which is quite different from the sound a fender strat for example. Take some of your favorite artists and find out what they're playing... it's a good start to knowing what sort of sound you need to pursue. E.g. if you like Clapton and his sound, you're not going to get it with an epiphone or gibson.

second, play a bunch of different guitars. feel counts for a lot. gibsons use a shorter scale than fenders... so the neck is shorter and the frets are closer together. there's also a different feel to the width and radius of the necks.

In short, take a step back... a guitar shouldnt be an impulse buy. Think about the sound, feel and lastly the look that you want... make an informed purchase.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Default electric

I do not like the necks on these. The new Fender American Standard Strat or Tele are worth checking out. I think the resale would be much better down the line if you change your mind. Don't know if this is too much cash for you ro not.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
I do not like the necks on these. The new Fender American Standard Strat or Tele are worth checking out. I think the resale would be much better down the line if you change your mind. Don't know if this is too much cash for you ro not.
I don't like the necks on the Fenders!!! The Epi's you are looking at have necks that are gloss finished. The quality of the recent Epi's is wonderful. Neck work and fret work has been way above the past Epi's. If that is what YOU like, go for it.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:29 PM

Default necks

Necks are personal preference. The new American Standards have up graded necks from past models.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
Necks are personal preference.
That's why neither your endorsement of fenders nor bill's liking of epi's is particularly helpful... I don't say that to offend, simply to reiterate what i initially wrote - picking a guitar based off looks is a horrible way to buy a guitar. Knowing what sound you're looking for and then playing guitars and being comfortable with how they feel is what's important... especially when fender and gibson/epiphone necks feel so different and their guitars sound so different.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 04-12-2008, 07:00 PM

Okay, I've demoed a few Epi SGs. I think they're actually better stock than the Gibson SGs. I just love the necks on them. Pretty much, it breaks down like this: if you like AC/DC, get the SG.

However, like everything Gibson makes, everything Fender makes, and everything not Schecter or ESP at that price point, it will need some help out of the box. Don't buy one without spending some time with it, and if you do buy, get it set up by a real guitar tech.

Oh, don't worry about the devil horns - it's a functional design feature allowing access to all frets. The SG is very comfortable to play while seated, but some don't like how it balances. Besides, unless you're doing "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Momma," "Crew Slut," or "Stinkfoot," nobody in church should even care what guitar you're using.

(Frank Zappa used the SG a lot as well.)

Ovation CSE24
Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 AM

I worked on an Epi SG that a kid traded for a Peavey Raptor (strat style guitar). I think he should have kept the Raptor. I definitely think that the ESP/LTD models are far better. I have yet to find an Epi that I am positively impressed by. It can't be coincidence.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=441241

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars