The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Default Can anybody tell me how good the GMW strats are???

Can anybody tell me how good the GMW strats are??? Anyone have one for sale? How are the pickups and cosmetics on it???
Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 PM

No but their "Strat-shaped" models are about the same price as a new Fender Stratocaster Deluxe - so according to me their way over priced. After all if you can buy the model, why buy the copy?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
No but their "Strat-shaped" models are about the same price as a new Fender Stratocaster Deluxe - so according to me their way over priced. After all if you can buy the model, why buy the copy?
*former Strat owner speaking here*

Normally, I'm against clones that are more expensive than the genuine article. However, I can support clones when the genuine article leaves a noticeable amount to be desired.

Extreme example: The Tom Anderson Cobra is based on a Fender Telecaster body style. However, when comparing the two, most would find that it would be like sending a junior high football team (Telecaster) up against the '07-'08 Patriots (Tom Anderson).

US Masters is another Fender clone. Out of the box, Fender can't touch 'em (even the USA-made ones) in terms of fit, finish, and set up. When it comes to componentry, US Masters is again the clear favorite. Copied? Somewhat. Expensive? Yes. Overpriced? When compared side-by-side with a Fender, it's the Fender that appears overpriced.

If the GMW's are set up to play out of the box, have frets done correctly, and good electronics, I'd lean that way over a Fender. I'd say give one a good thorough demo and let your hands and ears make the decision.

Ovation CSE24
Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 AM
.tom the übergeek

Two words....Resale Value.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIGoAgain View Post
*former Strat owner speaking here*

Normally, I'm against clones that are more expensive than the genuine article. However, I can support clones when the genuine article leaves a noticeable amount to be desired.
Wow. Ir's amazing that a guitar wirh so many problems has has garnered the decades of acclaim from so many grammy award guitarrists. I might have to try one of those... copies sometime. Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIGoAgain View Post
However, I can support clones when the genuine article leaves a noticeable amount to be desired.

I would agree. The quality control that Anderson/Suhr/Tyler . . .etc have is far superior in my experience to the Fender "real deals". Now, if the exact Fender tone is what you fall in love with, go with the Fender and if it has issues, address them. The alure of an Anderson/Suhr/Tyler is that you get top notch workmanship.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 PM

I'll bet these guys are the former employees of BC Rich, Charvel, Jackson, et al. that went to GMW when their respective companies got bought out...or at least the guys who painted the guitars.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 PM

I'd buy a copy if I thought it was a better deal than the original. Case in point, I have an ESP strat from the 80s. It smokes many fender strats that I have played, and the price was right.

Resale value means little to me. I buy a guitar based on the assumption that I'm going to play it (hopefully a lot). Sometimes they don't turn out to be what I thought, or what I want changes. If so, it's nice for them to keep their value, but ultimately I care about tone and feel, not about resale value or the headstock shape or whatever else.

My Band!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
Wow. Ir's amazing that a guitar wirh so many problems has has garnered the decades of acclaim from so many grammy award guitarrists. I might have to try one of those... copies sometime. Thanks
Many of the grammy winners have guitar techs on the road with them, and many of their guitars are customized (usually a pickup swap and a hardware upgrade).

I've actually been told by a Fender dealer that Clapton's strats are hand-built by a master luthier under contract from Fender. Now, let me go check out the bowed necks and rough frets on the USA strats at my local dealer.

Ovation CSE24
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankayaker View Post
I would agree. The quality control that Anderson/Suhr/Tyler . . .etc have is far superior in my experience to the Fender "real deals". Now, if the exact Fender tone is what you fall in love with, go with the Fender and if it has issues, address them. The alure of an Anderson/Suhr/Tyler is that you get top notch workmanship.
I had an Anderson and it was a fine piece of workmanship but it lacked soul. I have read that about other high end stuff but there is a thread running on one of the many forums I frequent talking about this right now. In the end, you need to find a guitar that works for you.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM

The Strats I play have the smoothest frets and ends possible. The necks are perfect and the tone is ........ Stratocaster. If you're playing electric guitars your playing a Fender copy of one type or another. Copies are of course the most sincere form of flattery.

I've only played for about 35 years but Clapton, Richards, Gilmore, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Vaughn.... and thousands of others all played stock strats when they began and they kept playing them throughout their careers. Now If I had a guitar tech traveling with me I might have them do some custom work such as pull pots or special wiring also. However it remains the most recognized and played electric guitar on the planet. Whenever that happens, there's a reason for it. In this case, similar to Harley copies, the copies can attempt to be similar in appearance but never achieve the true quality or attraction of the original.

You might be able to play Stairway To Heaven but you'll never play it with the feeling or knowledge of Jimmy Page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars