The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Btw, I kind like it on the top better than on the side.

Do you think putting it on the side was an improvement?

I kind of think the best placement for the jack is the endpin but you don't see that on many electrics. Wonder why.
After years with a Les Paul, having the jack on the side is natural to me and having it on the top feels, well, kinda weird. That is, of course, a personal thing. I would probably be more comfy with it on the side, but whatever.

I'm not sure I like the end pin placement for an electric. Once again, my preference. Your mileage may vary...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-06-2007, 07:54 AM

No doubt the to-each-his/her-own rule applies here.

One reason I like the endpin jack is that it seems a "safer" location in the event someone steps on your patch cord. The top and side seem more fragile and prone to cracking in such a case. The endpin jack sort of doubles as a strap lock, too...sort of.

Anyways, I (like many of you) cannot wait to get my hands on an ES339.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Darn them anyway!!~!

That guitar looks pretty sweet to me.. especially the Caramel Burst model....

Let's see -- how much more Overtime can I work this year?

Tp
Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 PM
"Big Daddy"

I finally found some place that is selling the ES-339.
The price looks reasonable.
Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2007, 05:43 AM

Now that is cool. I've played a 336 and thought it was a great idea, glad to see Gibson go with that idea even further. Wish I still played electric out so I could justify owning one.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Default working in the dark?

Why do the craftsmen at Gibson have to work in the dark? It's near pitch black in all those shots of guys blowing sawdust off their beautiful woodwork.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:40 AM

Smile Just got mine...

Sunburst w/60 style neck. The case it come in is smaller than my Les Pauls. Only had time to play for about an hour. This thing is small but has great a great sound. The the 60/30 neck is also wider than expected.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:48 AM

The 339 is basically a mini-335. It uses the same wood (maple laminate) and is bent to shape.

The 336 uses solid carved wood. More significant, the back is made out of mahogany, not maple. It is basically a funny shaped, semi-hollow les paul.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Why do the craftsmen at Gibson have to work in the dark? It's near pitch black in all those shots of guys blowing sawdust off their beautiful woodwork.

That's what I call "photographic licence".

I was working in the machine shop of an optics manufacturer when they decided to update their brochures.
The whole exercise was about getting a good picture, so instead of working on one of the good (Apache Day-Sensor) lens cells I was turning on a lathe (the photographer called it a lathing machine), I chucked up one of the scrap pieces so I could crank a grooving tool into the flange and throw out some nice, shiny, photogenic, aluminum chips.
When I was ready, out of habit I reached up and zeroed the machine's digital readout. The Photographer asked if all those zeroes lined up meant that everything was "dead-on-the-money". I explained that it didn't really work that way, and that I could make it say anything he wanted it to, "Just pick a number."
He called out a number and I punched it into the readout for the axis that would be remaining stationary. I don't know what significance the number had to him, it may have been the last digits of his Social or something, but that's the number in the picture.

Later, one day when I was sitting in the lunch-room looking at our new brochures with the lady who was ,among many other functions, in charge of safety and health, I felt compelled to point out that we, in the machine shop, were not in the habit of sticking our faces right up at the work while the machine was running; it was just a bit of photographic licence.
Hofner HF11 (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)
Lace Acela (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)

Hondo Banjo
Epiphone Masterbuilt banjo (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)
First Act Dulcimer
Oscar Schmidt Silvertone Autoharp
La Suprema Ukulele
First Act Lap Harp

I'll keep buying guitars, until I find one I know how to play!
Old 11-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Imho, these will not sound like an es 335. They'll be more mids and treble focused and will not have that great bottom thump that you get out of a full sized es-335.

That said, if you're looking for a smaller es 335 type guitar, theese will fit the bill at a pretty reasonable price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars