The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-17-2016, 07:49 AM

Default Cordoba C10 Parlor compared to Torres

I own and play a C10 parlor in spruce, a very bold expressive guitar. With a slightly shorter scale' 630, and narrower nut than the torres, it is still very close in size. Has anyone sat down with both and compared just how different the Torres is? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

I wish I could answer your question, but I haven't played those guitars in close proximity. Just wanted to mention, if you aren't aware, that there is another similar guitar that's about half-way between those two in price: The Kenny Hill New World Player 628mm. As you may know, Kenny played a major role in designing many Cordoba guitars, including the Master Series Torres. Just thought you might want to check out this one, in addition to the Torres.
-Bob

Last edited by hesson11; 12-17-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Bob, Thank you for the Kenny Hill pointer. I find the 630 scale of the C10 to be as small, well a touch smaller actually, than I want to go. Standard 650 scale instruments are too big to be comfortable. So perhaps the 640 Torres would be that sweet spot.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:21 AM

Again no help on the Torres, but a few months back I had the chance to compare several nylons and, to my surprise, the best sound of the bunch was a 640 Kenny Hill. I expected to prefer the longer scale since my best sounding nylon is a 655. The 640 Hill was loud, articulate and pretty and the shorter scale had almost imperceptible effect on playing.

I have had at least one known builder suggest there were sweet spots for nylon scale lentchs. He was talking about 655 scales (and no he didn't build mine), but it made me think about the 640 length since that Kenny Hill was such a good sounding guitar.

So in short (no pun), you may be onto something with the shorter scale length. Sorry I can't help with the Torres.

hunter
Old 12-18-2016, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
Bob, Thank you for the Kenny Hill pointer. I find the 630 scale of the C10 to be as small, well a touch smaller actually, than I want to go. Standard 650 scale instruments are too big to be comfortable. So perhaps the 640 Torres would be that sweet spot.
Sorry. I misunderstood. Actually, the Kenny Hill New World Player series also has a 640 scale, if you want to look into that. The Player series usually gets very high marks. I have a 615 scale and love it. Player series guitars usually go for about $1,000 less than the Cordoba Master Series Torres.

Look up https://www.savageclassical.com, if you haven't already. Lots of good pics and sound samples, too (click on Classical Guitars > Small Scale Guitars). Good luck!
-Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical