The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-14-2016, 03:04 PM

Default Best Acoustic Mic for recording for $100?

Currently shopping for a good acoustic guitar mic for recording around $100. I spent all my money on other things for the recording space so I have $100-$120 left for a mic. If it doubles as a great vocal mic too I'd love to hear about that as well!~
Old 02-14-2016, 03:08 PM

You're going to get just about as many opinions are there are people.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:09 PM

How about an Audio Technica AT2020 or AKG P120? Medium/large diaphragm condenser mics are nice all-around recording tools. You'll need phantom power for either one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 AM

If you have everything else to use it with, certainly the AKG P120 would be my choice at $100. Sweetwater gets you an automatic two year warranty.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...1cgBoC6X_w_wcB

If you don't have phantom power or an interface to use it with then I'd go with A Zoom H1 (under $100) or similar stand-alone that would meet your recording needs plus is also useful for other things such as grabbing a tune sample at a jam.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:07 AM

The Audio Technical AT2021 ($79) is a great mic for acoustic and with a foam pop screen, makes a very good vocal mic too.

I have two AT2021's and an AT2020. Pretty darn happy with them. They require very little equalization in the recording software. They are available in a kit or purchased separately.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audio-Te...ophone-Pack.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audio-Te...-Microphone.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audio-Te...-Microphone.gc

Ray
Old 02-15-2016, 08:25 AM

Do you have an audio interface with phantom power?

You might want to look around for a used deal.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM

Yeah I have a Scarlett 2i2 which has phantom power. I'm think maybe AT2020 then. Or learning how to maneuver my sm57 to get the sounds that I want. With my own personal music I always have big open chord tunings and that's where I have a hard time with an sm57 I get way too much of a boomy sound. I'm about half a foot away from the mic and its pointed above the sound hole.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axylrock View Post
Yeah I have a Scarlett 2i2 which has phantom power. I'm think maybe AT2020 then. Or learning how to maneuver my sm57 to get the sounds that I want. With my own personal music I always have big open chord tunings and that's where I have a hard time with an sm57 I get way too much of a boomy sound. I'm about half a foot away from the mic and its pointed above the sound hole.
6 inches is probably too close - proximity effect kicks in way before that. You might try other spots, like the body/neck joint, which should be brighter, or move back, say around 10-12 inches, or even more (proximity kicks in around 16 inches usually). Or try raising the mic further above the soundhole. Depending on what you're recording, you might also try stereo with 2 mics, one at the neck/body joint, one on the lower bout, completely avoiding the soundhole. A condenser will likely give you a bit better results, but a 57 should be able to sound good. Maybe post an example of what you're getting, and people may have suggestions.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axylrock View Post
FWIW: I struggled a little using the 2020 on the guitar. I prefer a stereo effect and use two mics. The 2020 picks up a lot of sound over a wide area, including the back of the mic. The 2021's are a bit more directional. Doug Young suggested pointing at the neck/body junction and another at the lower bout. This is what I do and it sounds darn good. I position 1 mic about 14" in front of the guitar and the other about 12" away and angle and aim them at those two positions. The 2021's pick-up mainly what you point them at but, they have holes in the side for a little sideways pickup. Doing it this way seem give a nice stereo effect and also blend the sound nicely.

Ray
Old 02-15-2016, 09:32 PM

Here's a recording with the new guitar and setup with mics as described earlier... This almost a completely flat EQ recording. Also, I'm using a Scarlet 18i20 with Cubase. I did in-fact overlay a hint of bass guitar to add a little bottom.

https://files.secureserver.net/0shCCjuYPtPrPn

Ray
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Nice to hear someone else using AT2020's and what you get from them!

It occurred to me that I can't recall the last time I tried a recording with SM57s, so I just did a real quick and dirty recording with a pair of SM57s and then a pair of AT2020s. For what it's worth:

These are both spaced pairs, around 10-12 inches from the guitar. Pretty close to the same position, but not exact. And 2 different performances. I noodled something on the SM57 track, then tried to remember what I played for the AT2020s, so just sort of close, I hope. Not very scientific, but maybe some idea of what differences you might hear.

You could always get an AT2020 and then combine the SM57 with it for stereo, too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD