The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Default Refinish Acoustic guitar neck

I have a handmade acoustic guitar that has some chipping in the finish on the back of the neck . Under the dark finish is a beutiful wood. I'd love to remove all the finish and just apply a clear to show its natural beauty. Not sure if this is a bad idea or the proper steps to do so. There is also inlay in the headstock and not sure if sanding would damage it. Also , would taping off where the neck meets the body be sufficient to protect the body during sanding . All or any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ! Have pics if they will help !
Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by li2ljay View Post
I have a handmade acoustic guitar that has some chipping in the finish on the back of the neck . Under the dark finish is a beutiful wood. I'd love to remove all the finish and just apply a clear to show its natural beauty. Not sure if this is a bad idea or the proper steps to do so. There is also inlay in the headstock and not sure if sanding would damage it. Also , would taping off where the neck meets the body be sufficient to protect the body during sanding . All or any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ! Have pics if they will help !
Inlay is usually thick enough to be able to take some sanding, but some inlay is done with fine scratches on its top surface to help draw the intended picture. These scratches could easily be sanded off, if they exist.

Spanish guitar construction is such that the heel is carved AFTER adjoining to the body. So, it is possible to tape and sand. Takes a great deal of care, however, so keep that in mind before you decide to begin or not. Also, if you sand off all the dark finish, you may remove some of the pore filler. So, you may have to redo some pore filling. This in itself is another skill. It is not an insignificant job to do to high quality. You might consider trying it on a beater guitar first before attempting it on a nice instrument.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM

Also if the neck is colored the neck may be made up of different pieces of wood and they would be visible if you use a clear finish. It does not bother me but it does bother some.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:40 PM

Not familiar with pore filler , but I'll look into that . I appreciate the input !
Old 12-17-2014, 07:05 AM

You may be looking at the wood with nothing but a clear finish on it already. Most woods darken considerably from the "white" when finish is applied. To get a good idea of what the wood underneath will look like under a clear coat simply wet it with some naptha.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:39 AM

What kind of finish is it and do you have any pics? You may be better off chemically removing the finish.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM

Old 12-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Im not sure what type of finish this is , but its not paint . Tho it looks black in the picture , its a deep cherry color , you can still see the wood grain through the finish. So im trying to figure out the best technique to remove , and also dont want to damage the inlay work . If chemicals were used , what type ? If sanding , will it be fine to light grit / light sand over them ? Thanks guys
Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 PM

there's a reason guitars are painted and or deeply stained. it's usually to hide ugly wood. to me it looks like a dark cherry stain and deep.

-verify it's a bolt on mt/dovetail/butt jointed neck. it is wearing steel strings so most likely it is.
-verify that the inlay is actually shell. if not then choose your chemistry carefully.
-remove neck. if the fretboard extension is glued down. heat it loose.
-remove all hardware, nut, etc.. mask fret board.
-try a natural stripper and see what comes off. if you use something with gnarly chemicals you might eat up your dot markers or have your neck smell like stripper forever. or you might not.
-if you're lucky, everything will come off and clean up and all you have to do is pore fill and refinish and re-assemble, and touch up the finish at the fretboard extension and maybe the heel, and do a set up, .
-if you're not lucky well, you just had to mess with it, -you know your punishment.

good luck

Last edited by arie; 12-17-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:38 PM

+1 to what arie said...

I'd leave the face of the headstock alone, it's not worth the risk of damaging the inlay. Actually, I'd leave the neck alone also.

But if you do refinish the neck, it's pretty easy to sand everything except the face of the headstock, especially if you remove the neck.

If you can't remove the neck, refinishing it is probably not a good idea. Finish work on a guitar is not as easy as you might think.
et al
Old 12-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Well, to my eye the neck doesn't seem to go with the body. That back is beautiful, but the neck looks out of place. I see what your going for, I think. So go for it, just be careful and don't mess it up. Maybe a No Beer project?
Old 12-21-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by li2ljay View Post
. . .Not sure if this is a bad idea or the proper steps to do so. . .
Sorry to appear so negative, but that statement in itself tells me that it is a bad idea. If you are not sure of the "proper steps," I'd say it's a dead certainty that you don't yet have a clear notion of exactly how big a job you could get into.

Simply getting the finish off can be a project so full of, er, "challenges," that a novice could make an irretrievable mess of the finish on other parts of the guitar.

Wear, chips, scratches, dents and other wounds are part of the life of a guitar finish, and if the guitar is in use, "things happen." i strongly recommend living with such things for a good long while before deciding that they "must" be fixed.

Play the guitar, enjoy it, and let it age along with you. . .
Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 AM

+1 to what Frank said.

I see finishes gone wrong all the time. Done improperly with wrong techniques and materials and it always costs more to have me redo it than it would have to simply have me do it right the first time.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:55 PM

+2 to what Frank said.

It looks like a beautiful guitar, and I can't imagine that the builder chose such beautiful back wood at the same time as choosing to colour the neck in order to hide some bad quality neck wood. Rather, I expect the luthier made an aesthetic decision to colour the neck in such a way. The headstock looks well made and well finished, and I expect the neck is also well finished. It would take a pro (and about 1000 bucks or more) to refinish the neck to the same quality.

If you don't like the colour scheme, I would suggest to off-load the guitar and commission a guitar more to your liking.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair