The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McNamara View Post
...but I can't pretend my memory is perfect - or sometimes even very good. :-)
I know that dude.

rct
Old 03-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McNamara View Post
I'm not sure that this is accurate. The two-way rod was implemented in 2007 if memory serves - synthetic fingerboards were a small fraction of Martin's line-up at the time - and what SFBs there were may have still been Micarta at that. (I don't think that Richlite replaced Micarta on some M&T models for a couple of years after the two-way rod was installed across the line as the "latest-and-greatest".) It was put in Standard, Vintage, Limited Edition, Marquis at the same time it went into the Mortise & Tenon line, IIRC. I do remember carry dozens of the new, longer truss rod wrenches at the time of the changeover and doing a lot of training in the field.

I was there '96 -'13 and I don't remember any discussion of two-way rods vis-a-vis synthetic fingerboards being the driving force for the change, which as I said, wouldn't seem to have made economic sense at the time, but I can't pretend my memory is perfect - or sometimes even very good. :-)
Joe, I was told that the 2-way rods were first used on the guitars with Micarta fretboards (I incorrectly said Richlite earlier) to overcome the tendency that some of these guitars had to back bow when tuned to pitch, even with the 1-way truss rod loose. Once Martin was satisfied with that solution, they changed all models to the 2-way rod so that they only had to stock and install one type of part.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Once Martin was satisfied with that solution, they changed all models to the 2-way rod so that they only had to stock and install one type of part.
With all the different styles, materials, designs, dimensions, tuners, nuts, saddles, cases, neck joints, blocks, scale length, ...... You think that stocking another truss rod type for synthetic fretboards was too much. Maybe the two-way was better in Martin's opinion. If the two-way rods have issues like you stated earlier, I would think Martin would have stayed with the one-way rod and used the two-way rod for for Micarta/Richlite. . I don't see Martin settling for less in this situation just to make stocking simpler. Just spitballing. . ..........Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 03-12-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Oy vey. Martin was a bit resistant to change, perhaps?
They didn't have adjustable truss rods at all until about 1986 IIRC (?)
Old 03-12-2016, 08:01 PM

Gibson started using adjustable truss rods in 1922. Yes, Martin was slow to catch on.

........Mike
Old 03-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

When it's happening, can you listen close and hear exactly where the noise is being generated? I.e. Bridge? Joint? Headstock?
Old 03-12-2016, 08:51 PM

I had a Martin EMP1 .That sounded awesome but would make all kinds of noise.It took quite some time for it to finally stop . It came from CA to me in NJ so i think it was very dry
Martin OMJM
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost
Old 03-12-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
When it's happening, can you listen close and hear exactly where the noise is being generated? I.e. Bridge? Joint? Headstock?
I wasn't able to identify where it came from. I never caught it making the noise while I was waiting for it. I would just hear it creak while sitting next to it.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman62 View Post
I had a Martin EMP1 .That sounded awesome but would make all kinds of noise.It took quite some time for it to finally stop . It came from CA to me in NJ so i think it was very dry
Interesting. That's good to know. Maybe it could be as simple as the woods just needing to settle in.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
I would never use guitar polish; only holy water and a soft cloth will do.
I was gonna mention that this is a job for holy water...lol
Old 03-13-2016, 03:52 AM

peek inside the sound hole - sounds like you got mice
Old 03-13-2016, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindChaser View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize it had ebony reinforcements instead of the t-bar; thanks for the info.

I took it in to an authorized Martin repair person and he said it would take about an hour to fully inspect it so I had to leave it with him. He said he would call me on Monday. I'll keep you all posted.
all weekend, Bob and his friends enjoyed the nice Martin guitar. he knew he had to get it back in the shop before Monday morning so his boss would not find out.

gotta have imagination
Old 03-13-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
all weekend, Bob and his friends enjoyed the nice Martin guitar. he knew he had to get it back in the shop before Monday morning so his boss would not find out.

gotta have imagination
I think you are letting your imagination run away with you there Daryl ...
I have a similar waiting period every time I leave my Turbo 911 Targa sportster in for service.
They always insist on me leaving it early on a Friday and I don't get it back 'til the next Tuesday.
The young fellah that works at the garage has explained that this is for some special Porche technical reasons, and I'm certain this is true...
Old 03-13-2016, 01:59 PM

I'll repeat ... if you're using the Ultimate Support stand it's the guitar settling into the guitar stand with the neck finish creaking against the yoke of the stand. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-13-2016, 04:29 PM

Now there you go Fran, ruining the thread with a perfectly logical answer based on experience. For me, it's time to log off and go play some slack key......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
authentic, creaking, martin