The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

soundclip please(honest)

d
Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 PM

Long Jon,

Very good.

2012 Taylor 814ce Spring Ltd. - Sitka Cocobola
2011 Taylor 314ce
1997 Takamine LTD Gecko - Koa
2014 Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 Wine Red
Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
Assuming the guitar's finish is not displaying the raised phrase "Play Me", I would try spraying some approved guitar polish where the neck and fretboard meet the body.

Ray
I would never use guitar polish; only holy water and a soft cloth will do.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
I would never use guitar polish; only holy water and a soft cloth will do.
I'd use fire in this case.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:44 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and laughs everyone =] To answer a few questions that I could recall at the moment: 1) I did not install an end piece 2) my temperature reading machine displays the same temperature as my home alarm thermometer, but I understand it could still be inaccurate. 3) the bridge pins appear to be snug, but I didn't think about the nut being the cause. 4) yes, it is a torrified top. 5) as the for the sound clip, it would be very difficult to pick up on my phone mic because the creak is very quiet. Also, not knowing when it will creak my arm may get too tired, haha.

I'm thinking I better take it to a luthier.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
Dont bring it down into the basement. Problem solved, and you're welcome!
No, no, no... Buy another. One for upstairs and one for downstairs.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

The following would be extreme situations, and I would think a humidity sensitivity more likely, but a good idea to rule them out.

I'd get the strings off, put your hand in the box and feel the top and back braces to see if any are loose. Tap around the box with your finger (top and back) and listen for rattle. Get an inspection mirror in there to look for separations.

Look for grain line cracks around he top back and sides, including parallel to the fingerboard extension.

Check the bridge and neck joint for separations. Check the binding for the same. Check the tuners to see if they are loose. Look for cracks at the base of the head stock.

What is the state of the truss rod? does tightening or loosening it a tiny amount either create the same creaking or cause it to stop?

Taking it to a good (!) luthier is a good idea.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

Last edited by OddManOut; 03-11-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
The following would be extreme situations, and I would think a humidity sensitivity more likely, but a good idea to rule them out.

I'd get the strings off, put your hand in the box and feel the top and back braces to see if and are loose. Tap around the box with your finger (top and back) and listen for rattle. Get an inspection mirror in there to look for separations.

Look for grain line cracks around he top back and sides, including parallel to the fingerboard extension.

Check the bridge and neck joint for separations. Check the binding for the same. Check the tuners to see if they are loose. Look for cracks at the base of the head stock.

What is the state of the truss rod? does tightening or loosening it a tiny amount either create the same creaking or cause it to stop?

Taking it to a good (!) luthier is a good idea.
those are excellent suggestions; thank you! Btw, my guitar has a t-bar instead of a truss rod.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindChaser View Post
those are excellent suggestions; thank you! Btw, my guitar has a t-bar instead of a truss rod.

My pleasure. I hope you rule them all out.

A T bar, eh? Is that something that can settle in? I have no experience with them.

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 03-12-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions and laughs everyone =] To answer a few questions that I could recall at the moment: 1) I did not install an end piece 2) my temperature reading machine displays the same temperature as my home alarm thermometer, but I understand it could still be inaccurate. 3) the bridge pins appear to be snug, but I didn't think about the nut being the cause. 4) yes, it is a torrified top. 5) as the for the sound clip, it would be very difficult to pick up on my phone mic because the creak is very quiet. Also, not knowing when it will creak my arm may get too tired, haha.

I'm thinking I better take it to a luthier.
The reason I asked if it has a torrefied top was because my Bourgeois AT Mahogany dread (torrefied top) makes 'creaking' noises when exposed to changes in temperature or humidity. I've owned a lot of guitars over the years but this Bourgeois is the first guitar I've ever had that has done this (and the first guitar I've owned with a torrefied top). Is it more than coincidence that both your guitar and mine are behaving in this manner and both have torrefied tops?

I've speculated that perhaps the difference in the way torrefied wood expands and contracts versus non-torrefied wood causes changes in how the top 'fits' into its place when surrounded by wood that is not torrefied. It may be possible that the difference in the rate of expansion and contraction of the two causes the creaking sound. As a consequence I've wondered if Dana Bourgeois has moved on to making his torrefied guitars with all torrefied wood (not just the top) to avoid this situation.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-12-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
The reason I asked if it has a torrefied top was because my Bourgeois AT Mahogany dread (torrefied top) makes 'creaking' noises when exposed to changes in temperature or humidity. I've owned a lot of guitars over the years but this Bourgeois is the first guitar I've ever had that has done this (and the first guitar I've owned with a torrefied top). Is it more than coincidence that both your guitar and mine are behaving in this manner and both have torrefied tops?

I've speculated that perhaps the difference in the way torrefied wood expands and contracts versus non-torrefied wood causes changes in how the top 'fits' into its place when surrounded by wood that is not torrefied. It may be possible that the difference in the rate of expansion and contraction of the two causes the creaking sound. As a consequence I've wondered if Dana Bourgeois has moved on to making his torrefied guitars with all torrefied wood (not just the top) to avoid this situation.
I see. The torrified top definitely could be the culprit since it's happening to the both of us. As long as the creaking doesn't lead to any damage, I'm okay with it.

Aaron
Old 03-12-2016, 06:44 AM

Try humidifying with holy water.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see. The torrified top definitely could be the culprit since it's happening to the both of us. As long as the creaking doesn't lead to any damage, I'm okay with it.

Aaron
This is very interesting. Will you keep us updated as to what you and/or your luthier discover or rule out?

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 03-12-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
This is very interesting. Will you keep us updated as to what you and/or your luthier discover or rule out?
Will do. Im hoping to see him this morning.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Does it have a torrefied top?
Terrified I would have thought!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
authentic, creaking, martin