The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
Taking no chances ...

Needed this last year and they were sold out. Just arrived. .What a beaut....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Temp...5510/202943651
Now you probably won't need it. Several (5-6) years ago we had BAD ice storm here in NE Okla. Killed two trees in my yard. Bent them over until the tops were touching the ground. Electric was out for a week.
Luckily I was able to find a kerosine heater to keep the house warm. And that was a LUCKY find. All such items as well as generators disappeared from stores overnite. Before the next winter I bought an electric generator. It's sitting in my shed, still in the box.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Now you probably won't need it. Several (5-6) years ago we had BAD ice storm here in NE Okla. Killed two trees in my yard. Bent them over until the tops were touching the ground. Electric was out for a week.
Luckily I was able to find a kerosine heater to keep the house warm. And that was a LUCKY find. All such items as well as generators disappeared from stores overnite. Before the next winter I bought an electric generator. It's sitting in my shed, still in the box.
Absolutely. ..I hope I jynxed ole man winter, and it will be collecting dust...That will be ok with me. Same goes for the generator, snowblower. .........

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Have no clue if this relates but, my wife an I have noticed a few straggler Hummingbirds 3, are still coming to our last feeder even this morning
I don't know if that is normal for you or not, but we have 3 stragglers here as well. By now in previous years we'd be down to a single straggler by this time in Sept.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
I had a metal roof put on the house a few years ago. Now I don't need a roof rake because snow slides right off. But where I live, described as "no man's land" by most everyone including the people at our county seat, we have frequent power outages year round. I've got several kerosene and LP stand alone space heaters and two generators. Fatstrat, did you know that you are supposed to run generators 20-30 minutes every month to keep them lubed and to be sure you can actually start them if and when you need them?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker36 View Post
I think they're throwing darts or pulling forecasts out of a hat. They have a hard time with the 7 day forecast, how can they possibly nail something 6 months out?
I often hear this but is this really a problem where everyone lives? Sure, we might get a forecast that says 50% chance of rain and it might not rain, or maybe it does in the area but not at my house. But I don't view that as getting the forecast wrong. There might be a couple times a year where a front moves a bit north or south of what the models projected so things aren't exactly as they predicted but it was close. The other thing I see is that folks look at an extended forecast that says rain but by the time the day rolls around, the rain has shifted a day earlier or later than originally predicted. Again, I don't view this as wrong.

Do I happen to live in an 'easy to predict' part of the US?
Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 PM

As a pilot, I’ve been impressed by how much the accuracy of weather forecasts as improved over the years. Still, many people continue to unthinkingly accuse forecasters of always being wrong.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
...............did you know that you are supposed to run generators 20-30 minutes every month to keep them lubed and to be sure you can actually start them if and when you need them?
Thanks for the reminder...Haven't started mine in 5 or so months......It's now on my weekend to do list.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 09-18-2014, 01:30 PM

It seems like what the Summer is like is an indicator. This Summer was cooler than normal here, so I am expecting another bitter cold Winter, here in Frozen Tundra, Ohio. If I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 09-18-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Have no clue if this relates but, my wife an I have noticed a few straggler Hummingbirds 3, are still coming to our last feeder even this morning
Same here.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
It seems like what the Summer is like is an indicator. This Summer was cooler than normal here, so I am expecting another bitter cold Winter, here in Frozen Tundra, Ohio. If I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
That is an old adage that has seemed largely to work for predicting snow fall as well. I have for many years made mid-summer snowfall predictions to family and friends for the coming winter by how much summer rainfall there has been. I've been remarkably correct, if I dare say so, (or I should say the adage has been correct) in making general predictions (above/below average or average) for winter snowfall. I've not been so accurate in predicting winter temps. But I've not used the summer temp as a predictor. I have used other natural predictors that old timers used for generations. Those predictors are fairly accurate, but only if one can assess and use several different predictors in unison.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I often hear this but is this really a problem where everyone lives? Sure, we might get a forecast that says 50% chance of rain and it might not rain, or maybe it does in the area but not at my house. But I don't view that as getting the forecast wrong. There might be a couple times a year where a front moves a bit north or south of what the models projected so things aren't exactly as they predicted but it was close. The other thing I see is that folks look at an extended forecast that says rain but by the time the day rolls around, the rain has shifted a day earlier or later than originally predicted. Again, I don't view this as wrong.

Do I happen to live in an 'easy to predict' part of the US?
I think there is something to this. When I lived in places on the east coast (CT, MA, VA, and FL) the weather forecasting was more reliable then it's been since I moved to the SF Bay Area in 1986. Most of the time, I have a good idea where things are going just by looking out the window. The reporting has improved, but still isn't as reliable as when I'm traveling on the east coast. It would be interesting to see the accuracy chart broken down regionally or by major cities.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Climate change deniers won't like what I have to say, but yes we are in for a lot of bad weather. The polar vortex has been disrupted by warming and the protective layer that keeps arctic air under check has been damaged.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 PM

Davis...how can someone be a "denier" if a theory has not been proven as fact?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff beer View Post
Davis...how can someone be a "denier" if a theory has not been proven as fact?
You do know that there is no such thing as 'fact' or 'law' in science, right? Theory and observation are as high as we go.

On a side note, why does anyone argue whether its real or not? That is not why people are passionate about the topic. People REALLY get fired up when we talk about what we should do. Why don't we even discuss that? Why is it "AGW" vs. "Deniers" when we should be talking about efficiency research spending, extent of pollution control, energy source allocation, etc? Why does everyone hide behind an argument where it doesn't matter who's right or wrong, it's how we deal with the current situation? Ultimately, it's a discussion of folks saying we should spend more dollars here and another group saying we shouldn't.

I just don't get it...
Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Climate change deniers won't like what I have to say, but yes we are in for a lot of bad weather.
I think they said something about a lot more and stronger hurricanes a decade ago, too.

Oops!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic