The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 PM

Freddie Green only took one solo in 50 years of playing with Count Basie. I don`t think he was "missing out". Do guitarists that only play whiddley-whiddley`s, be-bonks and diddle-diddles (one note at a time) realize they are "missing out"?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 PM

I play chords. My kids love singing along or just listening...

What exactly am I missing again?

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesUndivided View Post
...just a passing thought. I used to be a strict chord player hiding under the moniker of "rhythm guitarist", just singing country songs, but one day it all changed and I can't imagine going back. To be plain there is nothing wrong with just chucking chords and singing country but knowing what I know now it seems like I wasted a lot of time. There is something special about singing your own songs, your own arrangements, playing the rhythm and get this, playing the crazy solos as well, from beginning to end. I guess it's the satisfaction of not needing anyone else to make a big sound and when playing with others easily being able to kick back and handle whatever is lacking. So back to it, do they even realize? Feel free to comment in a freindly way...as this is just a passing thought.

I just wish I was up to that level of playing myself that way. Between work and home life, I enjoy strumming for now, and even fingerpicking.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 PM

I enjoy playing chords. I know I would be a better player if I could play four-to-the-bar Freddy Green style.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesUndivided View Post
So back to it, do they even realize?
No, those lowly chord players! All they do is strictly play chords! How could they realize!! They're too busy hiding under their monikers!! When will they learn !!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:45 PM
AGF Administrator

Though I do dabble in other areas, I am primarily a chord player. I'm more interested in playing around with different chord voicings than I am with learning lead or soloing. The only thing I was missing was writing my own songs and I have long since remedied that.

After 18 years of playing guitar my interest is at an all time high and I am quite content with my abilities.

Last edited by Jeremy; 05-16-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 AM

I'm a newbie. I always thought that these were skills that most guitar players worked on simultaneously. The DVD courses and online courses that I have seen encourage the beginner to learn both fingerpicking and chords, and that is the way I have been learning it. I guess people gravitate to one or the other after a while.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 AM

Let's side-step the issue of which style of play is "superior" for a moment and look at this another way. I think it just comes down to what playing guitar is to you.

Hobby? Do what makes you happy and what you have time for. Some people don't feel the need to push the boundaries once they reach a point, and that's cool. The point of a hobby is just to have something fun to do to pass the time.

Serious hobby? So you don't make your living with the guitar, but you want to always strive to be better. That's cool too. Learn all the styles and rock on.

Semi/professional? You make all or part of your living off the guitar? Then I suspect it behooves you to become as proficient as you are possibly able.

That said, there is no need to condescend someone who does not seek to broaden their skills. If they are a professional player and they can't keep up, I suspect the laws of being poor at any job apply there. If the player is a hobbyist, there is only one person they are obligated to please.

Do they know what they're missing? Unless they never listen to or watch anyone else play... I'm going to say yes, they do know. The real question is if it's relevant. Each person needs to answer that for themselves.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Hmm, I listen to music, not techniques...
Old 05-17-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcooper View Post
Not if they own a capo
My capo is my buddy.
2012 Martin 000-28H "Ambertone 1933"......"Rosebud"
(The 000-28H is actually my wifes..:-) )
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Chords are great. And when played tastefully and with inversions, can be made to really shine, particularly if you sing well along with your chord choices. Capo-ing, too, does wonders to add variety to simple chords.

That said, once one discovers adding bass lines and/or a few melodic lines, even if only a few notes, it really expands the depth of the song, IMHO. To me, this is the next step beyond "just" chords; not to supplant chord-only playing, but to compliment it.

Edward
Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Steve Cropper turned chords and rhythm playing into an art. I'm an accomplished blues/rock lead player (although I say it myself, apologies) but make no mistake, see a band with a really good, sympathetic rhythm player who has chops, inversions and dynamics, and it easily transcends the 'noodling' that most so called lead players do. I guess that's off the subject of acoustic guitars, but it illustrates a point re chords and rhythm in general.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
see a band with a really good, sympathetic rhythm player who has chops, inversions and dynamics, and it easily transcends the 'noodling' that most so called lead players do.
this is so true - not that i can do better but most lead players kind of 'wiggle' their fingers a bit over a scale real fast & think its expressing something.

Same with rhythm, its really hard to hear someone that is good at it. I like jazz and find myself listening in on the comping as much as the solo's at times.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

BB King plays leads and can't play chords. What's he missing out on?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
Steve Cropper turned chords and rhythm playing into an art. I'm an accomplished blues/rock lead player (although I say it myself, apologies) but make no mistake, see a band with a really good, sympathetic rhythm player who has chops, inversions and dynamics, and it easily transcends the 'noodling' that most so called lead players do. I guess that's off the subject of acoustic guitars, but it illustrates a point re chords and rhythm in general.
Yes.

To me, a boring, noodly lead player is just as bad as a rhythm player who doesn't listen or challenge that soloist...too many folks thing being a good rhythm player is just having a good sense of time and changing chords cleanly. It's a LOT more than that.

Cropper's an EXCELLENT rhythm player.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion