The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-29-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Hagstrom

Anyone have any experience with a Hagstrom ultra swede electric guitar?? Looking at one..what's y'all's opinion?? Good guitar/excellent guitar? Also is it made in Sweden or China?? Is 250 a good used price??
Old 11-29-2015, 06:10 PM

I had a Swedish-made original back in the late-70's - same guitar jazz legend Larry Coryell was playing at the time - and it's one of only two guitars I've owned in the last 53 years that I never should have sold. TMK there's some very limited (and expensive) custom-order, Euro-market-only Swedish production, but 99.9999% of the ones you're going to see here are Chinese-made; that said, they're supposed to be comparable quality-wise to the '70s Swedish versions - never played one myself, but I liked the late-model Viking I tried, and you could do far worse for $250...
Old 11-29-2015, 06:40 PM

Same here. I had a 70's Hagstrom Jimmy D'Aquisto. Action so fine it would fret by your breathing on it. Tone for days. I let a fellow talk me out of it. What a mistake.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyfan161 View Post
Anyone have any experience with a Hagstrom ultra swede electric guitar?? Looking at one..what's y'all's opinion?? Good guitar/excellent guitar? Also is it made in Sweden or China?? Is 250 a good used price??
Like the other respondents, I played a black Hagstrom Swede way back in the early 70's. Paired with a Marshall amp mine was a tone monster. While I really liked the instrument, my desire to play acoustic guitar ultimately compelled me to sell it and use the proceeds to buy a Larrivee.
That said, I don't see how you can go wrong with a Hagstrom Swede for $250.00.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:31 PM

Default Hagstrom Vintage Swede

I have a 2012 Vintage Swede, made in Indonesia, and it is absolutely gorgeous, a little larger than a Les Paul, with a really sweet sound unplugged. The tuners are some of the best around and the pick ups are terrific. I've only been playing two years so I can't do it justice but my teacher gave it a real try out one night at one of our lessons, as did a couple of other instructors, all of whom were excellent players, and they all agreed that it was a great guitar and much higher quality and sound than the top of the Squire line (Classic Vibe). The fretboard is ebony, the tuners are smooth as a ceramic bearing and the only thing I don't like is there is a switch that you can flip one way or the other to emphasize or tone down the output, I don't have enough experience to use that, but it's there. It was $799.00 all over the country when I bought it but I think they've come down some since then. I bought a Fender American Stratocaster last summer, and I do like that better.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 11-29-2015, 08:23 PM

That seems like a good deal. AFAIK they are not made in Sweden anymore...
Old 11-29-2015, 11:37 PM

No one would sell an original Swedish Hagstrom for $250. The one you found is almost certainly a Chinese reissue. That being said, I've played the newer ones and they're good guitars for the money. And $250 is a decent price for a reissue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars