The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-23-2015, 03:49 PM

Default NAD almost

OK, I just pulled the trigger on an amp that will arrive in a couple weeks and I'm already giggling like a school kid.

I've been bird-dogging the Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 head, but held off because I kept thinking I'd rather have some type of combo. As if in answer to my prayers, Mesa Boogie just released a 35-watt combo version with the full switchability of their larger Mark V amps. When I got notice from one of the big-box web retailers that it was in stock, I called a GREAT guitar store in my hometown to see if they'd ship for free. Not only would they do free shipping, but the sales guy was a former Mesa Boogie employee who had put in a special order for a handful of 35's with a British-made Celestion Vintage 30 speaker as opposed to the regular factory Custom 90, so I managed to score one of those at no extra cost.

I'll have to give up my beloved Egnater Rebel 30 to make way for the Mark V. It will be worth it, though. I'm originally from the Bay Area, so Mesa Boogie has always held that mythical place in my guitar life and I've wanted one since I started playing as a kid. I know that they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm stoked to finally own one and get to know all of its qualities. I'll try to post pics when it arrives.

Oh, and I'm *really* hoping that I'll be able to ditch my EQ pedal and one of my OD pedals from the board. Getting excited...

Last edited by Sombras; 11-23-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:13 PM

Full hands-on review when it arrives, please...
Old 11-23-2015, 08:07 PM

I bought a very lightly used Mark V:25 head on the AGF Classifieds. The seller had it priced to move...$700 shipped, so I had to bite on it. I've been playing it for a month now and am constantly blown away. Running it through a Mesa 1x12 3/4 closed back cab, it absolutely rocks. Channel 1 alone is worth the price of admission. The "crunch" channel is pure bliss that can go from a lightly broken up blues tone to a singing lead tone with just the volume knob on your guitar.

The best demo I've seen is:

I have used this video in lieu of the owners manual. Enjoy your Mark V:35 when it arrives. This line of amps will be Mesa classics years from now.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage

Last edited by Steely Glen; 11-23-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
I bought a very lightly used Mark V:25 head on the AGF Classifieds. The seller had it priced to move...$700 shipped, so I had to bite on it.
Oh man, no joke that was priced to move. I'd have passed on the combo if I had found a V:25 head for that price. I couldn't come close to that in the places I'd looked. Never thought to haunt the AGF pages! Congrats on that find. Very happy to hear that you're pleased with how it sounds. Makes me even more excited to start tweaking on mine.

Last edited by Sombras; 11-29-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
OK, I just pulled the trigger on an amp that will arrive in a couple weeks and I'm already giggling like a school kid.

I've been bird-dogging the Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 head, but held off because I kept thinking I'd rather have some type of combo. As if in answer to my prayers, Mesa Boogie just released a 35-watt combo version with the full switchability of their larger Mark V amps. When I got notice from one of the big-box web retailers that it was in stock, I called a GREAT guitar store in my hometown to see if they'd ship for free. Not only would they do free shipping, but the sales guy was a former Mesa Boogie employee who had put in a special order for a handful of 35's with a British-made Celestion Vintage 30 speaker as opposed to the regular factory Custom 90, so I managed to score one of those at no extra cost.

I'll have to give up my beloved Egnater Rebel 30 to make way for the Mark V. It will be worth it, though. I'm originally from the Bay Area, so Mesa Boogie has always held that mythical place in my guitar life and I've wanted one since I started playing as a kid. I know that they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm stoked to finally own one and get to know all of its qualities. I'll try to post pics when it arrives.

Oh, and I'm *really* hoping that I'll be able to ditch my EQ pedal and one of my OD pedals from the board. Getting excited...
Good call on the V:35. I've had 4-5 Boogies over the years, including a Mark V, and am currently gigging with an Express 5:50 Plus head through a 2x12 vertical Mesa cab. If the 35 had come out a year earlier, I'd probably be playing through it, but very happy with the 5:50.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Full hands-on review when it arrives, please...
I'll have to +1 what Steve said. Looking forward to your impressions. Congrats!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Good call on the V:35. I've had 4-5 Boogies over the years, including a Mark V, and am currently gigging with an Express 5:50 Plus head through a 2x12 vertical Mesa cab. If the 35 had come out a year earlier, I'd probably be playing through it, but very happy with the 5:50.
I would have gone for the 5:50, but in addition to playing out I do a lot of late-night practice and the direct headphone out on the V:35 (or V:25) was a must. The 5:50 looks like an excellent amp!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Sombras, congrats on the Classifieds buy. What's the main strength of the Mark V, tonewise? Does it have a great classic gain or is it a high gain amp?
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sombras, congrats on the Classifieds buy. What's the main strength of the Mark V, tonewise? Does it have a great classic gain or is it a high gain amp?
Not me. Glen scored a V:25 head on the AGF classifieds. I went with a new V:35 because I needed a small combo. It will arrive in a couple weeks.

Glen will be able to speak with much more authority than I, but my understanding is that the two 3-mode channels allow you to go from beautiful cleans to slight breakup to classic rock to extreme crunch. The Mesa Boogie team apparently went to great lengths to squeeze the exact circuitry of various classic MB amps into the Mark V, so they claim it's one of their most versatile amps.

I expect LOTS of fun confirming or dismissing their claims!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Glen will be able to speak with much more authority than I, but my understanding is that the two 3-mode channels allow you to go from beautiful cleans to slight breakup to classic rock to extreme crunch. The Mesa Boogie team apparently went to great lengths to squeeze the exact circuitry of various classic MB amps into the Mark V, so they claim it's one of their most versatile amps.

Check out the demo video I posted above. The Mark V:25 really is a library of tone. I'm sure the V:35 will be no different. Channel 1 has 3 settings that go from clean to fat to crunch with a switch and the ability to change between 10 and 25 watts really allows fleixibility on how much each setting breathes. Even at 10 watts it's LOUD. Channel 2 has 3 settings as well, 2 from golden era M/B Mark series and a third, called "extreme," that is syrupy high gain Boogie goodness.

All in all, the V:25 is, IMO, one of the best tube amp products out there.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 PM

I did watch that video and came away even more impressed than I already was. I did a BUNCH of research on the V:25 before stumbling on the combo 35W version. "Library of tone" sounds like a great description. I can't wait to start "wandering the stacks".
Old 11-25-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Not me. Glen scored a V:25 head on the AGF classifieds. I went with a new V:35 because I needed a small combo. It will arrive in a couple weeks.

LOL, sorry, I misread that. . Have fun tweaking the amp to your preferences. I'm sure you'll find a great tone.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:07 PM

That looks like a really interesting amp. I could lose months of my life exploring what it can do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars