The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
The V2 is version 2. They added a few new features and changed the cosmetics slightly.

I have the smallest one (the I) and it's fine for home use. You need it connected to a computer to access the editing functions, but the software is really straightforward. The II is a larger version of the I. The III is a popular model: enough power to use on stage, access to all editing functions through an LCD screen, and I believe it can use a larger footswitch for accessing more presets on the fly. The IV and V are larger, more powerful versions of the III. I'm seeing more local bands around here using a Mustang III as their guitar amps the last couple of years, too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The III also includes an effects loop and stereo XLR outputs - this may only be in the V2, I cannot remember.
It takes the 2 button footswitch, 4 button footswitch, and expression pedals - allowing you to access a lot of features and work the amp like it has a pedalboard in front.

Really, imo, there is no reason to by the II. Get the I if you want to go cheap and stay at home, get the III if you want to do anything else... play out, edit on the fly, use stomps, loopers, etc.

Only buy the IV if you want the stereo effects from the combo amp itself. Only buy the V + matching speaker cab if you like lifting heavy weights - seriously, you can just use the XLR outputs if you play a venue bigger than the III can handle. If you buy a Mustang, look at the back to make sure it is stamped V2. If not, demand a big break on the price. The III in particular had a notorious reputation for being "hissy". Although some liked the cleans better on it than the v2.

Last edited by Pualee; 11-18-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
The III also includes an effects loop and stereo XLR outputs - this may only be in the V2, I cannot remember.
It takes the 2 button footswitch, 4 button footswitch, and expression pedals - allowing you to access a lot of features and work the amp like it has a pedalboard in front.

Really, imo, there is no reason to by the II. Get the I if you want to go cheap and stay at home, get the III if you want to do anything else... play out, edit on the fly, use stomps, loopers, etc.

Only buy the IV if you want the stereo effects from the combo amp itself. Only buy the V + matching speaker cab if you like lifting heavy weights - seriously, you can just use the XLR outputs if you play a venue bigger than the III can handle. If you buy a Mustang, look at the back to make sure it is stamped V2. If not, demand a big break on the price. The III in particular had a notorious reputation for being "hissy". Although some liked the cleans better on it than the v2.
Really good summary. He is dead on!..
Old 11-18-2015, 05:10 PM

Thanks you guys, the info re: Mustangs is very helpful!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61cygni View Post
Thanks you guys, the info re: Mustangs is very helpful!
V2 also fixed some "fizziness" in the higher-gain presets that many complained about.

If it were me, I'd go with the Mustang that has the features you like (but definitely a V2, not a V1) or one of the low-wattage Blackstars unless all you want to do is play clean. Then, honestly, at low volume I think most anything sounds OK, even the $89 Guitar Center one probably. At home, clean and at low volume only, I run my electric and acoustic both through a 10-watt $50 Peavey Backstage and they sound fine. Get above conversation level, though, and amps like that crap out pretty quickly.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:36 AM

"The III also includes an effects loop and stereo XLR outputs - this may only be in the V2, I cannot remember."

it's the V2 that has xlr outs, the V1 just has the FX loop.

I agree to get the III if you can swing it. there's not much you can't do using the LCD, (there only a few things you'd need FUSE for with the AMPs LCD for edits.)

I have a III and a IV, the IV is a good choice too, but the III should give you ALL you'd ever need.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
"The III also includes an effects loop and stereo XLR outputs - this may only be in the V2, I cannot remember."

it's the V2 that has xlr outs, the V1 just has the FX loop.

I agree to get the III if you can swing it. there's not much you can't do using the LCD, (there only a few things you'd need FUSE for with the AMPs LCD for edits.)

I have a III and a IV, the IV is a good choice too, but the III should give you ALL you'd ever need.
I too would go for the III if I were to buy one again. The need for a computer to change sounds on the I and II I didn't like. But if you have a notebook or laptop and can hook it up to the amp...the I will be fine.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:19 AM

Default My suggestion.....

Find yourself a used Fender Frontman 25R. They're out of production now but, they can easily be found used for around $50.

Invest another $70 and swap out the stock speaker with an Eminence Ragin' Cajun' and you'll not only have a nice little practice amp but, you'll have an amp that can EASILY be used for live performance in small to medium sized rooms for less than $150.

That's the setup I have for my band but, I bought the amp brand. It easily keeps up with two other guitars, drums, bass and vocals and you don't have to deal with the confusing presets.

My $.02!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 11-20-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
Find yourself a used Fender Frontman 25R. They're out of production now but, they can easily be found used for around $50...Invest another $70 and swap out the stock speaker with an Eminence Ragin' Cajun' and you'll not only have a nice little practice amp but, you'll have an amp that can EASILY be used for live performance in small to medium sized rooms for less than $150...
GC still advertised NOS covered in red Tolex for $99 until a couple months ago; although they're officially "discontinued" one of the stores - especially if it's away from a large population center - may still have an unsold piece in the stockroom (I've seen this on several occasions at the big-box stores - scored a brand-new "open box" Frontman 212R for $158 at Best Buy a couple years ago). BTW, the Eminence speaker upgrade is a great suggestion - I've been swapping speakers for the last 40 years and it's one of the best mods you can make - but I'd also recommend checking out the Lil' Buddy if you're after classic Fender "American" tone...
Old 11-20-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Really good summary. He is dead on!..
I'd never get a Mustang for my 1st amp. There's just too many choices on that amp. Keep it simple, learn to play. I have the v.2, Mustang III. Rarely use it, even at very low volume it has this very annoying fizzle sound, can only get rid of it on certain settings.

If you have a strong back and a limited budget, you can find Music Man amps from the 1970's to 80's dirt cheap, they're built like Fort Knox, and always sound amazing.
Good luck!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:16 PM

I think the OP has to decide whether he wants effects built in the amp or not. The Mustang gives you all the effects you might ever need.

If you are after pure tone, then its the 15 watt Marshalls, Voxes, things like that. The problem is that without amp modeling technology, these amps sound terrible at low volumes.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:03 PM

So I got a chance to play some amps this week. If I go solid state modeling, I think I will go with the Mustang III. I need to spend some more time with some small 15W tube amps. I really liked the Blues Junior Tweed version.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:35 PM

Having gone through several practice amps, both solid state and tube, I wish I had bought this one to start with. Forget about how gig worthy it is. It well may be but as a practice amp that's not the point. It will give you an excellent introduction to tube amps and after all that's usually where most of us end up. Weighs in at 30 lbs. and priced right at about $500 new and $250 used.

Blues Jr. III

Old 11-21-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hill View Post
...I need to spend some more time with some small 15W tube amps. I really liked the Blues Junior Tweed version.
Then you'll love this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V22InfiCombo

Lower initial cost, has a real OD channel like the Blues Deluxe (not just a "Fat" switch) as well as mid-boost, switchable to 22W for small- to medium-size gigs (as I said before, plan ahead), sounds like it costs three times the price and, since you're new to tubes, none of the routine maintenance hassles/expense normally associated with tube amps - when it's time for new tubes, just plug and play. Here's a recent post from a fellow Forumite who just discivered how good these little tone boxes really are:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=407850

May be a bit hard to find since GC stopped carrying the line - and I'd never buy a used one (there were some initial QC issues in amps made prior to 2010) - but speaking as a happy owner I wouldn't think twice about buying one unheard/unseen...
Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 PM

The Fender Blues Junior is a great tube amp, but it won't take headphones and isn't anywhere near as versatile as the Mustang for home practice purposes.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:05 PM

I know a way to add headphones...

In fact, here's a vid of Pete Thorn which shows the kind of sound quality you can get.

Here's the link if that didn't display right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i770M9pM0_k

Last edited by moon; 11-21-2015 at 08:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars