The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-21-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
REAL Telecasters do NOT have 3 pickups, humbuckers in the bridge position or Strat-like dressed body contours. Whether it's a fraud or not, you're cheating yourself.
Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away their may be guitar forums where people don't make brash, dictatorial and highly subjective statements of this order. zabdart it's way past your bedtime.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
This one isn't a forgery/counterfeit.

I despise Chinese counterfeits, but this ain't one.

When the Chinese forge something, they stamp it Made in U.S.A. Its a counterfeit remember, they forge every aspect of it.

The fact that this says Made in China convinces me it is legit.
I thinkthat here, just as everywhere else in the world, the fact that something is made in China doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. I'm sure that there are branded Chinese guitars that are absolute crap and by the same token there are branded Chinese guitars that are superb. Case in point. I own a Japanese made 1983 Ibanez that is one of the best guitars I've ever owned. Recently I bought a Chinese made AR 325 Ibanez and for the life of me I can't see where it's any less of a guitar than my highly thought of vintage Japanese model. Today this stuff is all across the board and and it's not about the country of manufacture it's about the manufacturer.

$600 new and after a pro set up this thing just kills.

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 11-21-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:06 AM

Default Fender Tele China Help

The AR is a sweet guitar, my friend and gigging buddy has a black Japanese AR300. It's an amazing guitar, great sound and playability. If yours is as good then lucky you!

It is interesting that there are still people hopping in here to point out that the OP's guitar is a legit MiC Fender. The Modern Player is by all accounts a decent guitar (I haven't played one myself but I'd be surprised if it wasn't) and I imagine that if its features were on a Mexican or US built model then it would cost rather more.

As for not being a legit variant, well folks, come on: Nashville Teles add a middle pickup, some models come with a Bigsby (not for me but I understand the attraction), there are HH models (including a rather interesting Squier set-neck variant), BluesBoy with a neck humbucker (I used one for our US visit in the summer and really enjoyed it), and of course there are the classic humbucker deluxe models from the 70s plus modern reissues. Are any of these invalid? Of course not, it is what makes the Telecaster (and even more so the Strat) a classic - the basic model works for many styles of music and playing but is also a good basis for variation and customisation.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRAT1 View Post
I thinkthat here, just as everywhere else in the world, the fact that something is made in China doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. I'm sure that there are branded Chinese guitars that are absolute crap and by the same token there are branded Chinese guitars that are superb. Case in point. I own a Japanese made 1983 Ibanez that is one of the best guitars I've ever owned. Recently I bought a Chinese made AR 325 Ibanez and for the life of me I can't see where it's any less of a guitar than my highly thought of vintage Japanese model. Today this stuff is all across the board and and it's not about the country of manufacture it's about the manufacturer.

You quoted me but completely and utterly were off target. My argument was not about whether this guitar is made in China or not. My argument was not about whether it was good or not. My argument was not about whether China-made guitars are good or not.

My argument was about whether this was a counterfeit or not.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-22-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
You quoted me but completely and utterly were off target. My argument was not about whether this guitar is made in China or not. My argument was not about whether it was good or not. My argument was not about whether China-made guitars are good or not.

My argument was about whether this was a counterfeit or not.
Sorry if I misunderstood your point. Actually I wasn't trying to disagree with you.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
For that money you can easily find a used US made Tele if you look around. Purchasing that guitar only helps these companies steal profits to support an American company, they are straight forgerys. I've handled one before and I agree, it seemed well made but still ..........
Well for what it is worth Fender does use factories in China and Taiwan to produce guitars. So they are not "Forgeries", A $500.00 guitar is not one that is targeted for that kind of deceit. They generally try to copy and produce a MIA or MIJ and even now an MIM Fender. It's a business practice and that is all, but still should be one that IMHO Fender should do away with and focus on MIA and MIM. I have handled these and played these specific models and they sound pretty good, but lack good quality components. The tuners are sloppy and hard to dial in and the setup out of the box is shaky at best. but it is still a good guitar for the price if you want to take time to tinker with it.

OP, Congrats and hope you find it and play it well for years to come. At the G.C. where I shop one of the guys I frequently buy from has this model and change out the tuners to Sperzel locking and the guitar rocks. Peace!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
Quick, someone teach these poor souls about true Tele tone!

But can't argue with that!
Can't argue with these guys success either, they are making a great living and seem to love what they do and are great guitar players who play what they like and their music expresses what they wish others to hear. People do not play, or buy guitars that we approve of, they play what they obviously want and love to play. My Mod of my USA Pro is a Telecaster thru and thru, but has different configuration than the traditional Tele, but that does not make it a bad thing, It is what I want and the OP has what he wanted. Play in good health! Tele Twang rocks, and Strat is where it's At!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
REAL Telecasters do NOT have 3 pickups, humbuckers in the bridge position or Strat-like dressed body contours. Whether it's a fraud or not, you're cheating yourself.
Sorry Zab, but you are cheating yourself, I think traditional Teles are quite unique and I love them to. If Martin lived by this theory they would only make about 10 different guitars and would have likely gone under about 50 years ago. Is Keith Richards a fool for modifying his first Tele by removing the Low E String? He just made it his own and that is a story of success!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 AM

Will Ray says nuts to tradition. I think he might know his way around a guitar.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm just very, very finicky about Telecasters. To me, the beauty of them is their simplicity. Rather than limiting the options the player has, the simplicity of the Telecaster design actually forces the player to rethink and reimagine his options and explore the full range of possibilities of the instrument. I've been playing mine since 1970 and I'm still learning what it can do for me... and still amazed by it.
What's great is that there is a wide variety of Teles from different eras, countries of origin, and price points, to meet many people's needs.

I find it very odd that a group of musicians who consider themselves creative artists, become so closed-minded when it comes to such matters. There's enough space in the world for all kinds of Teles, for heaven's sake!

As to a "pure" configuration, I learned in the day when just one humbucker, one volume with no tone, and a vintage trem or Floyd were the only eequipment on the guitar to play with. Regardless of the instrument, the tone is in the fingers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars