The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-13-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post

MIM Strat or Tele would be my choice because say he stops playing (life gets in the way, sports, school, etc.) you can keep it or the resale value is greater with MIM guitars.
Darn straight. Don't give a kid a guitar you wouldn't play yourself. I think you can do better in the used market than a MIM fender, but that's personal opinion. A MIM tele especially is good enough for anyone at any level with a little setup work.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Don't give a kid a guitar you wouldn't play yourself
My thought too.

I have a fairly good idea of what the kid wants (blue, somewhat flashy and most importantly to me - a good/great guitar that is well set up so it plays like a dream). I play acoustic but have never played electric so this is a new animal for me. I have two months to figure it out and will put some time in at the shops hopefully without the kid being too much the wiser about where this is heading.

This thread and some conversations with the local guitar talent are my first forays into the area. The ones I have in consideration so far are Gibson SG faded (but doesn't come in blue as far as I know), Fender MIM, PRS, and maybe Gretsch. Just want something that can handle current interests well and other genres OK too. So far the kid likes to play or listen to Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Beatles, Michael Jackson, Doors, Beach Boys, Hendrix etc… Keep the thoughts coming. You are helping me a great deal.

PS No amp yet either, but that is a worry for another day. Plays the borrowed Squier unplugged at home and plugs in only at lessons.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 AM

Add me to the list of a used Fender Strat MIM. Of all the guitars it, to me, is the most universal. Right at home play everything from country to surf music.
I could be his first and last electric.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Mot,
You have a PM
Old 10-13-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
...I have a fairly good idea of what the kid wants (blue, somewhat flashy and most importantly to me - a good/great guitar that is well set up so it plays like a dream)....Just want something that can handle current interests well and other genres OK too. So far the kid likes to play or listen to Fleetwood Mac, Abba, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Beatles, Michael Jackson, Doors, Beach Boys, Hendrix etc...
One of these should cover all the styles listed as well as anything else that's likely to come along - FWIW I'm recommending it to the parents of a similarly-talented student of mine:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_e...229&color=CL01

Doesn't come in blue anymore, but it's got a bit of that LP vibe that he'll connect with Zep/Mac/Eagles - and somehow I think he'll do just fine with that vintage-style burst...
Old 10-14-2015, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

you have another pm mot
Old 10-16-2015, 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the comments so far. One question that I should ask as I think I know the answer but am not certain. How does the weight of these guitars compare to a Squier?
Old 10-16-2015, 12:02 PM

I don't know what your budget is for your kid but as you can see by my replies I should have bought him something I would have played instead of only spending a certain amount.

I wouldn't go by weight, most guitars weigh anywhere from 5-8 pounds normally. I have one of the heaviest guitars ever made, 9.8 pounds but since I don't gig with it don't really care. My 10 year old actually plays this heavy guitar the most out of all the guitars we own. He says it feels solid.

A good new Squire Strat or Telecaster is in the used MIM Fender Strat or Tele range so figure that in plus Fender raised prices October 1 on 2016 models (mostly MIM guitars). My MIM Fender Tele is an awesome guitar and come to find out it's a limited production (only 200 pcs made).

Maybe its time you bought yourself a new guitar and passed down something to your kid.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post
Maybe its time you bought yourself a new guitar and passed down something to your kid.
Great idea except that I don't have any electric gear to pass down. Acoustic wise, no problem. I didn't think I should worry about weight, but I am trying to cover as much as I can before I buy in an area where I don't know too much.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:42 PM

"A MIM Fender Stratocaster would be my advice…"

+1
Old 10-20-2015, 05:57 PM

The serious contenders after considering your input, all known variables and some reviews are in order of preference

1) MIM Fender Strat
2) PRS SE 245
3) maybe Ibanez AR420

I'm trying to find some in the local area to play and may buy locally or through a website like Sweetwater on a black friday type sale. Like I said, I have some time.

Are there any other guitars that I should consider or is there any reason one of these is the one no questions asked or maybe shouldn't be on this list.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 10-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Just to suggest something different how about a Pignose guitar? Well under your budget.

24 1/4 scale, built in amp and speaker with audio in. Output jack for normal amps. Looks great, sounds great and is cool.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:44 AM

Just to add that made in japan fender strats are on par with american made, and I have seen them used for about the price of a mim steat. For the styles of music you mentioned I'd definitely go for a strat style guitar rather than gibson-humbucker.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 10-30-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
Just to add that made in japan fender strats are on par with american made, and I have seen them used for about the price of a mim steat. For the styles of music you mentioned I'd definitely go for a strat style guitar rather than gibson-humbucker.
A big difference with Fender Japan products can be body wood. Often poplar or basswood. At least that was the case before Korea and China got big.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:55 AM

Looks like we're getting a fender deluxe strat for the kid. Found a decent deal if it works out. Now it's on to gear - probably at minimum an amp and a wawa pedal. Anything else I should consider? Where's the best place to shop for gear?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars