The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2015, 08:43 PM

Default Bass purchase

I just purchased a Squire vintage modified Jaguar bass special, ( quite a title!). Inexpensive little bass that got lots of love from the folks I talked to at the guitar store. Has a real nice satin finish P/base neck shape with both P/base and Jazz p/ups, built in active boost, has real nice feel to it. Anybody else ever feel the need to fill in your recordings with your own bass background for a fuller sound? Seems to me some songs just need that low driving pulse to move things along. Success or not for any members?
Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 AM

I bought a Squire Bronco bass for my recording endeavors. I wanted a short scale bass as, I'm not really a bass player and the shorter scale suited me as I'm primarily a guitar player. The simple pickup on the Bronco is quite trebly so I just back down on the tone control until I get a tone I'm satisfied with. It is a super cheap bass but it works just fine for me.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I picked up a Fender Standard Jazz Bass a few years back that has served me very well in the studio.

I've been using it pretty regularly in scoring work. More HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Cocobologist

I have the same MIM Standard Jazz bass as Bob's, but in natural Ash. It's 10 years old now, and is still sounding and playing great. Simple yet versatile -- A real workhorse of an instrument. Love it!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 11-28-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I bought a Squire Bronco bass for my recording endeavors...The simple pickup on the Bronco is quite trebly so I just back down on the tone control until I get a tone I'm satisfied with...
If you need to get rid of treble there are several ways to do this, the easiest being a switch to either flatwound or nylon-tapewound strings depending on how much high end you want to take out of your tone. As I'm sure you're aware, you're going to need a dedicated short-scale set - which very few local stores carry, so you'll most likely have to order by mail...

If you're a bit more adventurous as well as handy with a soldering iron, these little basses were very popular mod platforms a few years back - a couple suggestions I've seen:
  • Upgraded tuners: you'll probably want to do this anyway in the name of tuning stability
  • P/J-style four-saddle bridge: see above
  • Cap swap: TMK you've got an .022mfd cap on your tone pot (same as a Strat) - step up to at least an .047 (preferably a .1) to shift things into the bass register
  • Pickup swap: this is where things really get interesting, as the factory pickguard will handle any aftermarket Strat-size pickup - a tappable rail-type pickup with strong low-end, like the DiMarzio BC-2 (the old hot setup, thanks to its series/parallel/single-coil capability), should give you all the tonal variety you need
Assuming you bought that Bronco new, for a total investment of under $300 you could have a real little tone monster - and if it ever breaks, just remove the good parts and swap them into its replacement...
Old 11-28-2015, 05:49 PM

i have a pbass and a jazz bass. one of them goes on every song i record.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-28-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Anybody else ever feel the need to fill in your recordings with your own bass background for a fuller sound?
Constantly.

One example:

Okay, two examples!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:12 PM

Very very cool. My instructor will be giving me lessons next week. Should be interesting.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I just purchased a Squire vintage modified Jaguar bass special, ( quite a title!). Inexpensive little bass that got lots of love from the folks I talked to at the guitar store. Has a real nice satin finish P/base neck shape with both P/base and Jazz p/ups, built in active boost, has real nice feel to it. Anybody else ever feel the need to fill in your recordings with your own bass background for a fuller sound? Seems to me some songs just need that low driving pulse to move things along. Success or not for any members?
There was a time in my former professional music career that I was playing more bass than guitar. I still love playing bass when I get the opportunity and yes, I lay down my own bass tracks (though I often score a MIDI track bass first when writing out parts that I won't be playing just to hear how it sounds).

That Jaguar bass is a honey - enjoy!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-01-2015, 08:40 AM

I've got a Squire J-bass I use for a lot of recordings, and I gig with it once a year, too!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 AM

A squire bass is on my short list !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2015, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the input. Will be heading out tonite for first bass lesson. I know nothing about them, ( think I would after all these years). Was laid up with a foot fracture, able to get out now. Other folks tell me that Squire, for an inexpensive bass, will do the job nicely. We'll see.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I've owned the Squire vintage modified Jaguar bass special for a couple of years and I've been very happy with it. I used it to record and it does a great job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars