The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Default New pedal and it's my favorite delay that I've ever owned!

It's the Korg SDD-3000 and it's a $400 pedal but it's on sale at Sweetwater for $229. Got mine about a week ago and I don't know how I got by without it.

I might even get another one.

If you're fan of the Edge and those great U2 guitar sounds this is the pedal for you because it's the delay both he and Daniel Lanois use to get those sounds.

I can't say enough good things about it.

I've owned (and still own) some other great delays (Memory Man, Boss, Providence Chrono, Carbon Copy, Echoplex....) but this is the only one that really gets those sounds.

Check it out:

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 11-18-2015, 11:48 AM

Dallas Schoo, who is the guitar tech for U2 and the Edge, helped design this pedal based on the old rack mount Korg SDD-3000 delay.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 11-22-2015, 12:17 AM

Spendy but pretty slick

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 11-22-2015, 07:06 AM

Gypsy, Congrats on the new pedal. You know your delay pedals. Is there one aspect of any of your current pedals that you like more than the Korg? Or do you still need more time with it?
Old 11-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I've owned (and still own) some other great delays (Memory Man, Boss, Providence Chrono, Carbon Copy, Echoplex....) but this is the only one that really gets those sounds.
I'm curious... have you tried the TC Electronics Flashback X4? That's my current favorite.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-23-2015, 12:42 PM

While it's a bit price for sure, it really does sound fantastic.

nice score!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm curious... have you tried the TC Electronics Flashback X4? That's my current favorite.
I have not. I have a TC Reverb and TC Chorus and like them alot.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I have not. I have a TC Reverb and TC Chorus and like them alot.
Okay, I was just curious. The Flashback is the best delay I've played with, but I've never tried the Korg that you have.

My reverb is the Mojo Dewdrop. I like that pedal. It has a very natural sound to my ears. I don't own a chorus pedal.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Gypsy, Congrats on the new pedal. You know your delay pedals. Is there one aspect of any of your current pedals that you like more than the Korg? Or do you still need more time with it?
Tap Tempo and the ability to divide the repeats into triplets, or dotted eighths or "whatever" are important to me. I like my delays to be in time with the song I'm playing and that's difficult to set while you are performing the song onstage.

The Korg SDD-3000 allows me to do both. As does my Providence Chrono.

I owned a Line 6 DL4 that did that too, but it was so much more difficult for me to program, especially on the fly, that I sold it within a few months.

The Providence is very easy to use onstage in the heat of performance. I can have it "off", tap in the tempo of the song I'm playing while the band and I are playing it, then when I go for a solo or whatever tap the delay on and everything is in time.

I can do the same thing with Korg. Plus the Korg has great modulation and a preamp that actually drives my blackface Fender amps into a bit of overdrive without sounding distorted.

Also, the Korg has trails. When I click it off, the repeats continue until they fade out as they would in nature.

And I can have as many as 40 saved presets with the Korg.

The other delay I like a lot is the Carbon Copy. I think it has a beautiful warm, round analog tone. Organic is a word that comes to mind. Longer delays than my Memory Man though both are easy to dial in. I like turning knobs rather than scrolling with buttons. Neither has Tap Tempo but both have modulation which can be set for what I like: a subtle chorus effect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars