The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-28-2015, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I belong to the bluegrass academy that Bryan Sutton teaches and it is associated with Artistworks.com. They also have a finger style curriculum taught by Martin Taylor. What I love about the artist works curriculums is that they have great lessons, taught by well known artists, and you can send Video exchanges to the instructors on the lessons and any questions you have for them and they'll post back a response to your video with very good constructive criticism. It's also helpful because you can see other students video exchanges and the responses they received back from the instructors. A lot of times, I find at least for myself, the video exchanges from other students and the responses are very helpful to me.

good luck,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 06-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Stevan Grossman and Homespun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
I am in the beginner playing level but I'very been playing for a while.I know most of the basic cords. And now I want to move to the next level. I would like to learn more of the blues stuffs....well maybe some of the Fingerstyle. I can't take a private lessons or go to some of the classroom due to my lifestyle and work. I want the online site that I will be able to download their lessons onto my Android phone so I can watch and learn when I'm on the road or anytime when Internet access is not available. Does anyone know or any suggestions which online site that would be good and easy to learn?
Hi. Stefan has to be one of the very best teachers for fingerstyle Blues. The videos can be purchased as DVDs but more useful for you would be the download versions. These are made available to your mobile device by Purple Player and I think they can be viewed offline. I'm pretty sure that Homespun use the same system. Both of the above have a grading system so it's easy to filter for beginner level material. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
When my shoulder heals I plan to use "Totally Guitars" lessons at $12.95/month?
But again I don't know if they are downloadable.
Good luck and keep posting and let us know.
Totally Guitars video lessons are not downloadable but you can access them from anywhere.

Also, they have a few different pricing structures depending on whether you want lessons or just want to learn songs. I bought one of their packages for 55 bucks I got about 8 or 9 Simon and Garfunkel songs that I can access anytime forever (might take me that long to learn them too). I recommend that people go to Totallyguitars and sign up for free. Then even if you decide not to buy anything you still get access to a lot of free stuff like his "campfire" lessons and his tabs and chords/lyrics write ups which are great (these are downloadable).

I've also used several YouTube lessons like some of the ones mentioned. If you're an intermediate player "Shut up and Play" lessons are excellent as well.

I kind of mix and match and sometimes one person's song lessons work better for me than another.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
For beginners/intermediate I think the best is Martysongs. Justin is pretty good too.
I have just the opposite opinion. I prefer Justin, but Marty has some good stuff I like.

For me, a steady diet of Marty would get old very quickly. ("Heyyyyyyy, whatsup?")

Maybe it's the difference between East coast American (Marty) and laid back Brit (Justin.) Different strokes I guess.

But why choose? Both have free lessons, so check out both Justin and Marty.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjino View Post
I have just the opposite opinion. I prefer Justin, but Marty has some good stuff I like.

For me, a steady diet of Marty would get old very quickly. ("Heyyyyyyy, whatsup?")

Maybe it's the difference between East coast American (Marty) and laid back Brit (Justin.) Different strokes I guess.

But why choose? Both have free lessons, so check out both Justin and Marty.
Isnt Justin an Aussie ?
Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Plus one for PegHeadNation. They have a bunch of different programs to offer and are in growth mode so have future flexibility as well.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:08 AM

I think a lot of these sites have free trial periods. I know that Jamplay does. You should check them out and see which one suits you best.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 PM

I'm a member of Bluegrass Academy with Bryan Sutton.

I've also been a member of Totally Guitars with Neil Hogan and occasionally go back there to buy individual songs. I really like Neil's teaching style. He leaves no stone unturned; song history, key it's in, alternate ways to play it, and he's very particular about timing (which I like).

Cary
Old 06-30-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptVideo View Post
I too wanted something to travel with that didn't require an internet connection when I started and used the Gibson Learn and Master Guitar DVD set. They also have a blues version:

http://www.learnandmaster.com/spotli.../blues-guitar/
I second this. I have both the original and the finger style versions and have found nothing better. Look for some good deals on eBay, but make sure they are the current versions as they were expanded some time ago.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 07-01-2015, 03:22 PM

Homespun.com has downloadable lessons. Not free - but worthy of their price. Lots of different instructors and subjects. Emphasis on acoustic music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write