The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 PM

Default Visualization Frustration

I hope I can articulate this in such a way that makes sense. In the past 4 or 5 years I have been working quite diligently towards being more than a "campfire strummer" (I have been a bass player in bands in years gone by - I digress). Long and short of it is; recently I have been working on some Travis picking songs and quite often find myself hearing the tune and visualizing playing it as well. The frustration is that when I pick up my instrument, well, it just don't match what I see and hear in my head.
Please tell me I'm not alone
Kronbauer - TDK Mini Jumbo"Rosewood"
Kronbauer - Willy D "Ghost Rider"
Old 06-24-2015, 03:18 AM

You're not alone.

What's happening is that your musical imagination (your "inner ear") is developing faster than your technical skill - your thinking is losing contact with your fingers.
It's quite natural for us musicians to be thinking about music when we're not playing it. And equally natural for that thinking to go off into regions unattached from what our fingers physically know about the fretboard.

Solution: (a) don't worry about it (don't expect to be able to play everything that comes into your head). (b) keep playing as much as you can.
The more you play (and listen to what you play, of course) the more you'll construct a firm connection between your brain, ear and fingers. But it's quite likely your imagination will always be one step ahead. That's better than the other way round...
Old 06-24-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy D View Post
The frustration is that when I pick up my instrument, well, it just don't match what I see and hear in my head.
Please tell me I'm not alone
Rather than seeing this as a problem think of it as a good sign and an opportunity.

It's a good sign because you know you can 'think' music and trying to play what you 'think' will expand your abilities. You are on a well trodden path. Good luck.

Last edited by stanron; 06-24-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

You are far from alone... I am responding only to emphasise this as I can't add anything significant to what has already been said.

The ability to visualise how you create the music is indeed an advantage, and many of us do this with a sort of 'idealised' view that doesn't always come out in practice.

It might also help to break the music down into short segments then build up, taking a bit more analytical approach maybe?

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-24-2015, 05:52 AM

I've always found real time visual data interferes with visualization in the mind.

To counteract the "noise" I started playing with my eyes closed.
Closing you eyes feels unnatural however so I upgraded to complete darkness.

I have no idea if this will be helpful or ridiculous.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:57 AM

I would think "visualization" would be confusing. I find that when I get to a point that playing something is almost second nature, I would have a very hard time visualizing what position I am using or even the notes, sequence, and right hand action. I just about have to have a guitar in hand to transcribe what I do without thinking when I play.

I do often come up with variations or additions to a tune just by thinking about it but I have to have guitar in hand to work it into a tune. I suppose I am skipping the visualization and going from head to hands to muscle/music memory.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:22 AM

Thanks for sharing your insights folks. All are very helpful, encouraging and well appreciated.
So my next query is ... I guess chewing gum at the same time is right out of the question????
Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 AM

Here's a link to a relevant thread that applies to this conversation
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=394209

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write