The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-30-2015, 01:42 PM

guess I won't be going to the Mendocino guitar festival ... bad vibe
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperguitar View Post
guess I won't be going to the Mendocino guitar festival ... bad vibe
Huh? What bad vibe?

Someone created a post that sounded like some people will need special attention but in fact all of us learned the same way; we asked questions, we received information, we practiced, and we did it all over again the next day. The reference to diapers is that we all start out uninformed.

The point I was trying to make is you are as capable as anyone else when it comes to learning the craft.

Please do not trash the festival. I worked my *** off to put great guitarists in the same place at the same time so people who care about their craft could learn directly from real masters. If you don't want to come no problem. If you want to trash me personally no problem. But please leave the festival out of it.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by jetcode; 06-30-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:23 PM

There were many great responses which is why I didn't chime in earlier.

Chords in my mind are intersections in music where two or more voices coincide. I am always thinking of melody and accompaniment but I have no real idea what chord shapes or how many voices will intersect until I am there. If I have 4 bars of say Bm I will invent all kinds of color and tonal candy over that chord. A songwriter with limited guitar sense may strum the same chord over and over. The point is that chords are used in a variety of contexts. I occasionally read advanced chord books for new voicings. I do shift work with a few of the more colorful chords which is a nice surprise all on it's own. And if a shape is comfortable I can move it rather quickly. But mostly I am lost to arpeggios and counterpoint style passages.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Some chords (and number of notes played) sound good in between other chords, some good at a fast clip (short duration), some better than others simply due to a given guitar's intonation issues, or a given guitar's tonal spectrum, some played louder, some softer. It gets kind of hard to keycode all the possibilities.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-09-2015, 06:36 PM

Wish we had a like button. So many fantastic posts upstream.

Jerry Garcia once commented you can make three notes sound like a big fat horn section, thicker in sound than a six string barre (if thicker is what you want). I don't dig all of his playing, but that comment always resonated with me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write