The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Default PCM-D100 power supply

Having recently purchased a Sony PCM-D100 handheld recorder, I wonder if anybody here can tell me what AC power adapter goes with it. The manual says it is 6v 800ma and center pin is positive. There are plenty of AC adapters around that can provide this voltage at or above this current rating, but the plug fit is the issue.

I went to Radio Shack, which is closing by the way and everything is on sale, but none of their power supply tips fit the Sony. That is absolutely the first time I have not been able to find a power supply tip to fit at Radio Shack. I am talking about those "wall wart" supplies they sell where you pick out the tip you need since the supply does not come with one, but instead can use one of quite a variety.

From what I could learn via google, the previous Sony model, the PCM-D50, uses the Sony ES-608K3 AC adapter, and it was bundled with the PCM-D50.

However, the PCM-D100 does not come with an AC adapter and the manual does not specify a specific model.

I found an ES-608K3 on Ebay for $10 from a store in Hong Kong, so I bought it, but am really taking a chance on the plug fitting my PCM-D100 though the specs are otherwise correct for this model. It will take a few weeks to get here according to the info on the sale page.

If anybody does know the correct AC adapter model and possibly even where to get it, that would be much appreciated. I intend to use batteries most, if not all, the time, but would like to have the AC adapter just in case I need it. The PCM-D100 is supposed to have very good battery life (have not had it long enough yet to know if this is really the case), so that should not be a problem.

Thanks,

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

The read count for my original post is now up to 45. Hopefully, somebody has a PCM-D100 here and can provide some information. I don't see them discussed here so maybe that won't be the case.

I can see why these may not be particularly popular here because I have listened to comparisons at various sites between the PCM-D100 and a few more reasonably priced handheld recorders and the differences were not highly discernible. The two main things mentioned seem to be an "airiness" in the recordings and the almost complete lack of self-noise. For solo acoustic guitar and nature recording, these two things would likely be important, but probably not for most other situations.

However, I got it because it is literally a "Swiss Army Knife" for the "by ear" musician with features other than its ability to make nice recordings. So I don't want to post here saying everybody simply has got to get one of these because it is expensive and, for recording, there are quite a few other more affordable products around that have been discussed here at length and can do a very nice job.

All that said, if anybody does know something about the AC adapter for these things, please do tell.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

...and this thread quietly dies. OK, I will quit looking at it now, though obviously others are still looking.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-30-2015, 04:00 PM

Default A Day Late...

Hi Tony,

It's been a long time, but did you find an answer to your question? Did you ever call Sony to see what they might have said?

Thanks,
Peter.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I found a couple of the original Sony power supplies on Ebay from a shop in Hong Kong at about $4 apiece. Since I have two of these recorders, I bought what the guy had since he only had a couple of them. They were the right ones. I just googled around to find what the previous version of this recorder used and found it had the same specs as the one called for in the manual for mine. Sony does not make this power supply anymore, which is probably why they did not provide a part number. They provided what the output voltage and current capacity should be, and I guessed that they would not have changed the plug dimensions from the previous product to mine, and I was right.

To me, it is a matter of convenience to ask here, but I got zero response. I can always find what I need online (that is what search engines are for), but it takes time. I did it, got what I wanted and finished that problem within a week or two of posting here.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD