The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-28-2015, 04:35 AM

Default Trying to improve my guitar playing abilities

I am a pretty simple guitar player. I've been playing for 6 years or so, but haven't really tried to learn any scales, power chords, or look into alternate tunings much. That being said, what would the best maybe video to watch or something to develop the ability to play lead guitar in our worship band? I would really like to learn how improv really well once given the key of a song.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrippe View Post
I am a pretty simple guitar player. I've been playing for 6 years or so, but haven't really tried to learn any scales, power chords, or look into alternate tunings much. That being said, what would the best maybe video to watch or something to develop the ability to play lead guitar in our worship band? I would really like to learn how improv really well once given the key of a song.
Hi JTrippe,

There are lots and lots of great videos on YouTube for all kinds of playing...There's a guy called the Guitarpreneur

https://www.youtube.com/user/sword6204

His videos are great! He has bluegrass lead playing lessons, rhythm lessons, gospel songs....I really like him...

Other than that, just type in what you want to learn in You Tube's search and I'm sure you'll find stuff that suits your level of playing!

Annie
Old 06-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

JamPlay, Homespun or Truefire will offer very structured courses. Check them out also. Very affordable.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-28-2015, 06:18 AM

Hi Jtrippe

I'm not a big fan of watching videos or taking lessons, we all go our own route, but I would recommend trying to play the melody of the songs your band does. Get a list of the songs the band does and the keys the band plays them in and try playing the tunes of each one. Forget about tabs, forget about notation. Use your memory and your ears. They are the ultimate musicians tools.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Personally I don't see playing power chords as a sign that you would be advancing (if that's what you mean) nor using other tunings, per se. Many very accomplished guitarists don't rely on either.

I go along with the idea of picking out tunes you are already familiar with (and therefore know the key(s) and underlying chords) and it might help if your worship band has recorded one of your sessions. You are therefore working with music you enjoy and what you learn will be more easily applied. What about regular sessions with whoever plays lead now?

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write