The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-24-2015, 03:35 PM

Default Is My Right Hand Technique Wrong?

I play mostly travis picking/acoustic finger style arrangements of popular songs. It occurred to me this morning that since I'm almost entirely self taught, I should seek the opinions of others as to whether or not my right hand technique is fundamentally flawed. I've linked a short video below of me playing some tunes, very quick and rough, so don't mind some minor mistakes. I'm looking for thoughts simply on my right hand technique, as my left hand clearly needs more practice in some chord changes, but that will come with practice, so I'm looking mostly for thoughts on the right hand. Any criticism/tips/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Hayden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfWOy4b_VTw
Old 06-24-2015, 04:00 PM

Haven't done it in a while, but you may want to extend your thumb more and position your fingers more perpendicular to the strings. Make a hand like you are thumbing a ride and then turn it around. I think with the cup in your hand you will find it hard to palm mute which is an important element of Travis style.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:48 PM

It comes down to personal comfort. I would like to see your wrist at the same height as the first joint of your fingers.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:11 PM

There's more than one "approved" way to fingerpick. What classical players do looks totally different from what many do on steel strings. Or Flamenco...
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydengodfrey View Post
I play mostly travis picking/acoustic finger style arrangements of popular songs. It occurred to me this morning that since I'm almost entirely self taught…
Hi hayden…
I addressed this in your other post in the Play section, and just want to say, Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined and started discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write