The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-10-2015, 06:40 PM

Default Blackspade um17 tube condenser mic

I'm interested in any impressions AGF members have about the Blackspade um17 multi-pattern, tube condenser mic. There's a used one available in my area for a good price. While I've been toying with the idea of acquiring a Ribbon mic this deal just popped up. It's my understanding that the mike's designer, Oliver Archut, was aiming at producing an affordable "vintage" inspired tube mic like the Neumann u47 and m49.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

It's a new mic with a modest amount of competition. The Thierish M7 capsule is definitely a plus, as are the remaining components. No doubt it is a great Neumann M49 clone. No USA or Canada dealers/repair facilities yet. Oliver, the designer, past away last year. The design is likely stellar. The price (1900 Euros) seems at at the low end of high quality clones of this sort.

If you could buy it with a return privilege, that would be good. A M49 clone is not for all applications and many prefer other Neumann or AKG clones for vocals (U47, U67, C12, ELA M251).
Old 06-11-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
It's a new mic with a modest amount of competition. The Thierish M7 capsule is definitely a plus, as are the remaining components. No doubt it is a great Neumann M49 clone. No USA or Canada dealers/repair facilities yet. Oliver, the designer, past away last year. The design is likely stellar. The price (1900 Euros) seems at at the low end of high quality clones of this sort.

If you could buy it with a return privilege, that would be good. A M49 clone is not for all applications and many prefer other Neumann or AKG clones for vocals (U47, U67, C12, ELA M251).
Thanks, sdelsolray, for the input. The um17 I have a line on is used so there's no return policy. There is, however; the wherewithal to check out the mic before committing to the purchase.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:12 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I would be fascinated to see how closely they've been able to reproduce the sound of this mic (these mics?). I have years working with the U47 and M49 and love both mics.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-11-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I would be fascinated to see how closely they've been able to reproduce the sound of this mic (these mics?). I have years working with the U47 and M49 and love both mics.

Bob
Hey Bob, If you scroll down this link you'll come to several sound clips of the the Blackspade um17 mic. It sounds terrific to me. I'd love to hear your thoughts after listening to the clips.
http://www.m221b.com/AMI/UM17/UM17.html
Trevor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD