The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Default What Custom Commissions are You Expecting Delivery on in 2016?

As 2015 comes to a close, 2016 is now less than two weeks away. I suspect that a number of you may have some outstanding custom guitar commissions that you are expecting delivery of in the upcoming year. Sometimes given a builder's backlog, these orders take literally years to fulfill (e.g. You might have placed your order years ago) despite the actual build only taking a number of months to complete.

What type of guitars and from which luthier are you expecting delivery on in 2016?
Old 12-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I am very excited that my long awaited Circa OM will be completed in early 2016. I believe it's been 2 or 3 years since I put down a deposit. I also expect a Kostal 12 string Jumbo by the end of 2016. Both luthiers are great fun to work with. The 12 string will fill a hole I've been looking to fill for several years. It'll be setup to focus on lower tunings. The Circa will have totally vintage Martin sound with a medium C neck and large-ish frets. It will not have an adjustable truss rod, so I also expect extreme light weight.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:25 PM

I planned on an OM from Joel Michaud early 2015. He should start almost any day now! I'm expecting it sometime April.
Sinker Redwood top, Walnut back and sides
Manzer wedge, scoop cutaway.
The top that we picked is really amazing, great looks and sound.
I keep checking my email to see if he's begun! He hinted it might be a Christmas surprise. He has been great to work with, and I'm excited to see what he comes up with. I've given several ideas that he has tweeked and improved a great deal.
I'm not deserving of any guitar of this quality, hopeful someday I will!
Old 12-19-2015, 04:47 PM

Default new build

In 2-3 weeks, I should have a new one from Harvey Leach, Sequoia over Macassar Ebony, Peruvian Walnut neck, done Voyage Air style with the folding neck so I could fly with it. We've added a slight multiscale and a sound port. The pictures I have seen so far are absolutely striking. It should really turn heads. It falls within his "Arctos" line, "Cremona" body (OMish). Harvey has been absolutely great to work with. I intend to use it some of the time in lowered tunings, using a slide.

Sorry, I don't do pictures here - too much hassle involved. But once I get it, I will put up pictures on my website (www.bardrocks.com).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

I have two commissions outstanding for delivery in 2016.

The first up is a commission that I placed in 2014 with Pennsylvania luthier Bill Comins (http://www.cominsguitars.com/comins-handcrafted/home). It is a 16" acoustic, oval hole archtop with a Carpathian Spruce top and a Fiddleback Honduran Mahogany Body. This is a hybrid design, marrying elements of archtops, gypsy guitars and flat top guitars. He has just begun construction, so it is targeted for delivery in April/May.

Later in 2016, I have a commission on order that I placed earlier in 2015 with California luthier (and AGF member) Howard Klepper (http://www.klepperguitars.com/). Howard is making me a 000/OM, multi-scale (with a few twists..:-) with either a German or Italian Spruce Top and African Blackwood back and sides. This guitar will also feature an oval soundhole and will incorporate some of Howards fantastic marquetry. He should start the build in April/May for delivery in August/September.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 12-20-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added some pics
Old 12-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Bob, excellent choice on the Klepper! That should be rad. Howard definitely knows how to build them.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:12 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Burton LeGeyt is building me a parlor from koa, and we've been messing around with ideas for almost a year, and it may or may not be ready in time for Santa Barbara. But, we're either doing an all koa Ditson parlor or a red spruce over koa renaissance parlor. Keep your eyes posted for the build thread to start maybe mid-year.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Smile Fun fun fun

The build thread for my new John Kinnaird slope dread 12 fret cut in Honduran rosewood and Bearclaw Euro spruce is here in the "Luthier's Corner"
I can not say enough good things about JK and his work. Totally underrated IMHO!
Woody/Mike sold me JK #99 and it kicked my a!!. He ordered a custom and loved it, then ordered another! His is almost done, and He has a thread here as well!!!
A big THANK YOU to all the incredible luthiers making the world a better place, one fab guitar at a time!

Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, groovy Kwanza, a fine Hanukkah, and the best Festivus to the rest of us!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-19-2015, 08:20 PM

I know it's on the low end of the custom spectrum, but my Halcyon is due to get going pretty soon. Thinking DB 14 fret 00 redwood braced with adi with flamed walnut back and sides, bound in Ebony.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 12-19-2015, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

All ends of the spectrum are welcome, particularly when accompanied by photos.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:41 PM

I hope to collect my Kostal around Sept.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

I have a Goodall Traditional "Long Dreadnought" (12-fret) in Honduran Rosewood and Adirondack Spruce due in the 1st quarter of 2016. Here is the back & sides set:

Old 12-20-2015, 12:34 AM

I have a current build thread going right now for an Edwinson Consort (13 Fret). I'm expecting that it will go into finish sometime early in the New Year and will likely take ownership of it sometime in late February... maybe even wait until March if the weather is too scary cold for shipping.
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 12-20-2015, 02:32 AM

If I am lucky an Irish Bouzouki. Paid to get on the list. Just a backlog of orders like most Luthiers. The who I'll leave out until the build log starts.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I'm expecting my dehradun in the next ~60 days or so. My first "modern" style guitar. Grand auditorium cutaway in redwood / rosewood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop