The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-10-2016, 03:13 PM

Default ES335 Studio, or wait for Standard?

I'm considering springing for a 335 as my sole electric, and am moving on a LP Studio and a USA Strat to put towards it.

The 335 Studio is less than half the price of the full fat standard. Has anyone any experience with the Studio?

The price is very appealing but I'm worried I'll always be jonesing for the Standard..
Old 02-10-2016, 05:33 PM

Let me preface my comments by saying that, as the owner of an '07 SG Faded Bass and '11 LP Studio '60s Reissue (goldtop/P-90), Gibson can make some amazing lower-priced instruments when they so desire; that said, there's also been a prevailing "we do because we can" attitude for the last three decades or so when it comes to price structure, particularly on their trademark models. To me, the 335 Studio is proof positive that there's no need to pay twice as much for what amounts to ~$300 in cosmetic upgrades and a couple extra pots; if you're OK with its "everything you need and nothing you don't" aesthetic (BTW I also love the model-specific gingerburst finish) I'd sooner take the $1600 difference and invest it in a nice tube amp - perfect complement to a dual-humbucker semi...
Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 PM

I agree w/ S. DeRosa.
Got a LP Studio 2015 model, I love playing it, and it sounds comparable with much more expensive older LP's I use. And it's easier to play, wider neck.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Hmmm... Your choice. I can tell you a couple of things that play into this choice for me:

1. On my ES-335, the bridge pickup tone control spends most of its life halfway down in order to bring down the overtones to the point where the neck and bridge pickups match well. Of course the same it true of my Les Pauls as well. If you eliminate that second tone control you eliminate that ability.
2. If you like the middle pickup selector position you probably like the ability to blend between the two pickups with the volume controls. Down to only one volume and one tone you miss that ability.

A used ES-335 Faded is a better option if you don't want to loose these important abilities.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

When I first started reading this I was with Steve. I too have a great LP Studio that is a really nice guitar and I actually like it better without the binding in that color (Manhattan Midnight Blue). Highly recommended.

But, I looked at Bob's comment and went "What?". I just checked. He's right, of course, the studio 335s do not have individual tone and volume for each pickup. When the Studio 335s came out, I never noticed that. I just thought they skipped the binding, etc and were a pretty good deal (like my LP).

So.... I'm with Bob on this one. Hang in there for the real deal. Look for a good used one if you want to get it now and not wait.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:06 AM

Some great food for thought there chaps, thanks a lot. I've found a dealer who has new stock of the Standard with £300 off, which certainly helps the case for waiting and saving a bit longer.

By the way, I also have a LP Studio, and although I'm selling it, I still find it a fantastic guitar. But it has the full set of controls, and I don't think I would feel the same way about it if it only had two.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:51 AM

If you're going to be using the guitar for live playing and switching between rhythm and lead, having those 2 extra pots there when you switch pickups is what you'll want. If you're recording (hence the name 'studio'), it's no big deal.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 02-11-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:04 AM

I might be confused here, but it looks as if the 2016 model year of the ES-335 studio does come with full controls.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...lectric-Guitar

Old 02-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Studios are great guitars. I can't comment specifically on the ES335 studio but I wouldn't think twice about buying a Studio (among my Les Pauls is a Studio).

If you really want a Standard but can't wait, buy a used Studio and then sell it when you want the Standard.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
I might be confused here, but it looks as if the 2016 model year of the ES-335 studio does come with full controls.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...lectric-Guitar

That's rather lovely

However, it's almost as expensive as the Standard; only £300 difference.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Speaking as an owner of a 1974 ES-345, my first thoughts were to tell you to wait for the one YOU really want... after trying to cut corners for decades, I've morphed into my new gear buying philosophy...

BUY ONCE!

If what you're looking for is value for your money, I would seriously (seriously!) suggest you check out the Reverend semi-hollowbodies... either the "Tricky Gomez" or the "Manta Ray". EVERY Reverend electric I have seen has been beautifully constructed and finished... and all the "variations" from the normal Gibson/Fender clones are very useful and well-though out...

About the only thing I can find fault with the Reverend guitars is that they don't come with a case... but for the $$$, you could buy 2 Caltons on top of the purchase price and STILL be well under the price of new 335!

This may be howling with the wind, if you are a slave to the name on the headstock... but, were I to be looking at an electric guitar purchase these days, that's the FIRST place I'd go, to check out the Reverend line-up thoroughly...

And I LOVE my Gibson electrics, by the way...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-11-2016, 03:28 PM

I had a look at the Reverend website and their guitars look very well made, but I am an unashamed slave to the name on the headstock

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment of buying once. It's taken me a long time to learn that, but most of all, my previous corner cutting has had more to do with being skint and impatient.

I'm going to buy the one I really want, which is the Standard, in Cherry. I'm excited.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Okay, I'll point you over to my review of the ES-335 DOT, HERE. Mine is a 2005 that my lovely wife surprised me with one Christmas. It has become my go-to guitar for sessions.

I'm glad to have gone through the business of searching for the right one (amongst DOTs and Historics) and finding it. And of course, having it given to you as a gift is really special.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:48 PM

If you find a Studio you like it would actually be quite easy to drill a couple of holes for 4-pot wiring. The F-hole surgery bit isn't that hard either if you know the routine.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
If you're going to be using the guitar for live playing and switching between rhythm and lead, having those 2 extra pots there when you switch pickups is what you'll want. If you're recording (hence the name 'studio'), it's no big deal.
The original idea for the studio models was to give the buyer all the sound of the standard models, but remove the "fancy stuff" like binding and fancier inlays because the reasoning was it could look plainer as one one would see it in a studio. So... Studio models should have the extra pots.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars