The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-28-2017, 04:22 AM

Understood. Thanks for the ideas, and for sharing the picture of the top bracing. It will be a while before I can get back into the shop, but I am getting excited about it. I have not made a 12 string yet. I'm curious though also, do you do anything extra to help keep the neck in alignment? It seems an L shaped neck block, braced against the upper transverse brace should work pretty well.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 PM

Tom, other than making my heel block 1/4" thicker than a lot of other makers (1-3/4" X 3") I don't do anything different. I suppose you could make an L-shaped block. It wouldn't hurt. But, remember, the fretboard extension glued to top is essentially a substantial structural member that helps keep the neck from shifting.

Good luck in your inaugural 12 string project. And keep us informed as you make progress.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair