The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-15-2016, 08:03 PM

Default Weisenborn experts please... baritones

Hi, is a baritone defined by its scale, range, depth of body/neck, both?

Any customary boundries?
I've seen: 24.8", 27", and 30' scale all called Baritone. Some with the neck as deep as the body, some not. Also, the smaller ones had longer bodies i believe.

Are "baritones" just Knudsons? or try to sound like them? Can anyone tell me the difference in playing these vs typical Weissenborns? I have freaking looked all over forums and not found anything about this. Please?

Someone's gotta know about this stuff.

thanks!

j
Old 09-15-2016, 10:04 PM

I can't help you but have you tried the reso hangout? They have a weissenborn sub-forum.

http://www.resohangout.com/group/weissenbornplayers
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 AM

wow thanks tdq!
Old 09-16-2016, 07:57 AM

All the baritones I've seen have been modern custom jobs. And they have been all over the place in terms of depth, hollow/vs solid necks, etc. The reso hangout will have info for you. You may even get some offers to sell you some
Old 09-18-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyr View Post
Hi, is a baritone defined by its scale, range, depth of body/neck, both?

Any customary boundries?
I've seen: 24.8", 27", and 30' scale all called Baritone. Some with the neck as deep as the body, some not. Also, the smaller ones had longer bodies i believe.

Are "baritones" just Knudsen? or try to sound like them? Can anyone tell me the difference in playing these vs typical Weissenborns? I have freaking looked all over forums and not found anything about this. Please?

Someone's gotta know about this stuff.

thanks!

j

Baritones are generally defined as having a longer scale length and are tuned lower than a standard instrument. So your high Open G tuning will be turned down a 4th or a fifth. A longer scale allows this while maintaining string tension better than a shorter scale will, but you could tune down a shorter scaled instrument. I play a flat-top Baritone that has a scale of 28.3" which I usually tune B to B and alter the inner 4 strings to change tunings, although sometimes I'll drop the 1st and 6th to A. I have spoken with Mark at Rayco Guitars about a Baritone Weissenborn. Larry Progreba also does one.

This is the clip that caught my eye. Note the larger body. My Baritone has a jumbo guitar body.

try comparing her clip of a standard Weissenborn

And there is this... http://www.isemanguitars.com/baritone-weissenborn.html These are a bit esoteric waters you are swimming in.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:31 PM

I own a Pogreba baritone. A beast and well built if not a bit rustic. 27+" scale. Tuned to C mostly. Great for deliberate and resonant work. Stringy and wild and beautiful. Also have a standard scale Pogreba and a short scale Lazy River. The standard gets the most time, but when I'm in the mood, the baritone moves me.

Really need to do some recording, but life is complicated right now.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 09-20-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post
I own a Pogreba baritone. A beast and well built if not a bit rustic. 27+" scale. Tuned to C mostly. Great for deliberate and resonant work. Stringy and wild and beautiful. Also have a standard scale Pogreba and a short scale Lazy River. The standard gets the most time, but when I'm in the mood, the baritone moves me.

Really need to do some recording, but life is complicated right now.
So the standard is more versatile, but sometimes the baritone has that "Big" tone?

I'd probably be into things like this (Although Ben is playing a standard tuned down, I think)

TW
Old 09-21-2016, 07:18 AM

Default Call Rance

I suggest you call Rance at Lazy River Guitars.

He'll give you the straight scoop.

http://www.lazyriverguitars.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments