The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
... I do think the Rosette is on the noisy side. Like I said earlier the FX master is EXTREMELY hissy, to the point where I thought the amp was faulty. Also flipping any of the switches (except mute) on the front seem to make a popping noise, but I'm assuming most of the guts are analog (with the exception of the reverb) so that is probably the culprit.
I agree the FX master is on the hissy side, but only when cranked way up. Other than that it is no noisier/hissier than any other amp I've had. And I'd dare say less so.

Quote:
***Only thing I think it's missing is a better tweeter control, perhaps a level knob as opposed to a switch. As well as a separate effects loop per channel, along with a level control. I was planning to run a slap back delay in the loop for my guitar, but if I also ran vocals through it, there would be no way to get just the internal verb and not the loop. Small issues.
I agree, small issues when balanced against the great sound you can achieve with the MB Rosette. I look at it this way: I've never purchased a guitar, an amp, a car, a house....anything that was absolutely perfect in all ways.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:32 PM

I kind of see myself setting channel B to my acoustic sound, and leaving channel one open for everything else. I'm considering it more of a mini PA than a dedicated acoustic amp at this point. I did indeed have trouble dialling in the verb. I believe the controls (in verb mode) are level, low cut, high cut. I found it to have way too much high end but it was nearly perfect rolled all the way down.

If you already have a perfect sounding guitar, then I have no idea! There must be a "flat" setting somewhere in the manual. Even then, you can always just turn the knobs till it sounds good. EQ with ears not eyes I recently heard someone say. This is why it took some extra time on my second play through to get a better tone. I cut the gain and just swept the mids until it sounded nice.

Correct no products are ever perfect, but it's odd they didn't included separate effects loops per channel like the Fishman amps. I supposed though if the amp was 100% perfect at generation one, there would be no way to make money by releasing more versions in the future

I anticipate several more versions of this in the future with larger cabs, and sub-woofers.

***Edit, manual says everything at 12 noon i flat.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 AM

I have a Loudbox Mini. I liked it initially then i gradually decided I did not love it, so it is now nearly exclusively used as a vocal monitor which it has inadequate bass depth or dynamic response but still.not horrible. I found the onboard eq to be inadequate for dialling in as good a tone is as possible and as long as a separate preamp is required it is a fail.

I found I prefer either my $100 Peavey Heritage VTX 2x12 (which has a paramid on Ch2) .. Incidently a stellar amp for everything .. It is as close to a perfect amp as I know
.. or my $1000 1972 Fender Bandmaster Reverb c/w JBL K120 2x12 for acoustic guitar. The JBLs give just enough range extension to make a piezo sound decent and the overall tone is less spikey. Of the two..the Peavey wins.

If I were to.do it all over again, I would likely get a lightweight powered PA speaker and a high end acoustic preamp..(which I now have in an Headway EDB2). Incidently Headway is coming out with an acoustic amp. I gave them unsolicited free design advice on it - hahaha.

I have been disappointed in acoustic guitar amps generally. None really do it for me, although I have never had the occasion to try a Schertler. But for the price of one I think there are a range of PA options to explore.

Last edited by Tommy_G; 02-08-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Well I ordered it! No way I'm taking the floor model for that price

Oh I also read in the manual that you can obtain "tube like" preamp clipping by cranking up the gain knob until the peak light is just flashing. Apparently they have built in some sort of tube clipping emulation just before the limiter kicks in. INTERESTING!

Should be here next week I'll report back.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Well I ordered it! No way I'm taking the floor model for that price

Oh I also read in the manual that you can obtain "tube like" preamp clipping by cranking up the gain knob until the peak light is just flashing. Apparently they have built in some sort of tube clipping emulation just before the limiter kicks in. INTERESTING!

Should be here next week I'll report back.
It's a high quality piece put out by an exceptionally responsive company, and especially if you like to get after it as you say, you and Rosette should be a happy couple. Congrats!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:06 PM

I had to laugh to the comment about dialing the bass back on the Fishman Mini because I have to do that as well, no matter what pickup. What's up with that?
The suggestion of a powered speaker with a preamp is a good one.
I have used my Alto Powered Speaker that way combined with my Fishman Platinum Pro Pre-amp / EQ and it sounds good.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-08-2018, 06:27 PM

To answer some of your questions and ponderings...

1. The noise you hear with t he effects return cranked up is normal because there is way more than enough make-up gain on the return (including an external effects unit with low output levels, like instrument rather than line level) for any kind of application I could ever see the amp being suitable for. With normal send levels and the internal effects, the effects return level would be over the top unusable cranked like that. It's provided for when using external instrument level effects. This is covered to some degree in the manual (nominal send and return settings) but maybe it needs to be clearer.

2. Regarding eq, if your instrument sounds the way you want it without needing any eq, don't use any (and that would be a pretty awesome guitar too!). The reason why we put so much effort into a pro level eq is because the nature of pickups, and piezo-ceramics specifically, is that it's very, very difficult to design a guitar/pickup system that is truly flat. Often, the piezo-ceramic element combined with the mounting interface will induce a resonant point somewhere between 2-5kHz, and there may also be a gradually rising response in that area as well. Then there's the low frequency body cavity resonance that is independent of the pickup being used. Between the eq and the high pass filter, there are more tools available to deal with these than most other amps. Tools do take time to learn, this is probably the biggest challenge (IMO) to using an amp such as this.

I also recognize that the manual is so full of information that there may be areas that are unintentionally confusing. If you have any questions, or suggestions for improvements, please PM me.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:50 AM

The op started this thread about using a Godin A6 ultra. I has a piezo bridge and a humbucking pickup in the neck. Its half electric with a slim electric neck. I still say an eq is the best for it.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
To answer some of your questions and ponderings...

1. The noise you hear with t he effects return cranked up is normal because there is way more than enough make-up gain on the return (including an external effects unit with low output levels, like instrument rather than line level) for any kind of application I could ever see the amp being suitable for. With normal send levels and the internal effects, the effects return level would be over the top unusable cranked like that. It's provided for when using external instrument level effects. This is covered to some degree in the manual (nominal send and return settings) but maybe it needs to be clearer.

2. Regarding eq, if your instrument sounds the way you want it without needing any eq, don't use any (and that would be a pretty awesome guitar too!). The reason why we put so much effort into a pro level eq is because the nature of pickups, and piezo-ceramics specifically, is that it's very, very difficult to design a guitar/pickup system that is truly flat. Often, the piezo-ceramic element combined with the mounting interface will induce a resonant point somewhere between 2-5kHz, and there may also be a gradually rising response in that area as well. Then there's the low frequency body cavity resonance that is independent of the pickup being used. Between the eq and the high pass filter, there are more tools available to deal with these than most other amps. Tools do take time to learn, this is probably the biggest challenge (IMO) to using an amp such as this.

I also recognize that the manual is so full of information that there may be areas that are unintentionally confusing. If you have any questions, or suggestions for improvements, please PM me.

Hope this helps.
Yes, you covered it and expounded on it well. Do you work for Mesa?
I found the Owner's manual to be one of the very best I've ever gotten with any amp or other guitar related electronics., Only a couple of very, very trivial points overlooked that aren't really worth mentioning. The manual is written so well that it would be IMO nit-picking to even mention those two small points. The attention given to the manual alone will likely lead me to looking much closer to another Mesa product for my next electric guitar amp.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
I found the Owner's manual to be one of the very best I've ever gotten with any amp or other guitar related electronics., Only a couple of very, very trivial points overlooked that aren't really worth mentioning. The manual is written so well that it would be IMO nit-picking to even mention those two small points. The attention given to the manual alone will likely lead me to looking much closer to another Mesa product for my next electric guitar amp.
Yes in another thread he stated was the principle engineer behind the Rosette

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-09-2018, 02:14 PM

Does anyone have any data on or taken time to evaluate the dispersion
of the Mesa Rosette?

I play in a band with a guy that uses a (different model) Mesa and it
seems very directional. For playing to large audiences at volume I can see
why this would be a good thing. But for acoustic music wider dispersion
seems better.

Phrased another way, do you have to stand right in front of the Rosette
for it to sound the best?

Thanks, _Roger
Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
I do, I was the principal engineer on the Rosette. The manual was written trying to provide detailed information while also offering as much tutorial information on the advanced features and eq as possible which of course made it a bit long and intimidating to some players (especially those not technically oriented). It's a fine line and that line is different with every player IME.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
of the Mesa Rosette?

seems better.

Thanks, _Roger
Directionality on speakers varies with frequency. Broad band, the response is roughly 90 degrees vertically and about 75 degrees horizontally between say 400Hz and 10kHz, and gradually gets wider below 400Hz. It's not a purely spherical pattern.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
of the Mesa Rosette?

seems better.

Thanks, _Roger
It's a great amp and an OK PA. Dispersion is not it's strong suit. That said, it's not like it can't fill up a room. One factor that is a strong suit is the line out feed is really strong -- one guy on the forum likes his so much for that that he doesn't even bother to mic his acoustic guitar, he just runs a line out into his recording interface from Rosette.

To answer your question directly, no, you don't have to stand right in front of it. But it's really an amp not a PA.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Thanks for both clarifying answers! Very helpful.
Cheers, _Roger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification