The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 PM

Question Where to find headstock veneers?

Folks, I'm planning ahead to a summer project. I'm going to try my luck into adding a backstrap to my guitars.

Thinking of using ebony, though EIR, walnut or cocobolo could be cool as well.

Where would I be able to purchase one of these?
All my finds have been huge, bulk blanks. All id need is 2 or 3 blanks that are 3.5" x 7". Heck if anyone has some laying around, if be happy to take it!
Thanks
Old 02-18-2018, 10:30 PM

Both Exotic Woods in Burlington and A & M Wood Specialty in Cambridge sell guitar parts, including head veneers. If you are close enough to them, you can go there and select what you want. If not, you can mail order from them.

Canadian Luthier Supply in Goderich has ebony and zircote head plates.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:31 PM

Did you try LMII or StewMac?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:10 AM

RC tonewoods
Old 02-19-2018, 08:21 AM

Hearne Hardwoods...
Old 02-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Guest 1928

Martin sells a stack of IRW faceplates, about 5 for $5 if I recall correctly. Call their Guitar Maker's Connection for details. Not sure of the dimensions. I don't build, but use them for shim stock and other odd jobs.

Lots of the tone wood suppliers mentioned can sell you anything you want. Check their sites or call and ask about "orphaned" back or side pieces. This is from one side or back have breaking or being damaged. Nothing wrong with the other piece, but without a book match it has little market value. These are often in the $5-10 range, and you can get figured or exotic wood that would otherwise be very expensive.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM

I am curious as to when the terms "backstrap" and "headstock veneer" became synonymous and interchangeable
Old 02-19-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Martin sells a stack of IRW faceplates, about 5 for $5 if I recall correctly.
A good suggestion, but for those of us in The Great White North (aka Canada), the shipping across the border is what kills. Depending upon how one ships it, the shipping of the $5 item can cost anywhere from $20 to $50.

The suppliers I mentioned are all in Ontario, same province - and side of the border - as the OP.

Then there's the currency exchange issue, $1 CAN ~ $.7 USD.

In general, if one can find similar merchandise on this side of the border, it is often cheaper to purchase it here. On something like wood, if the supplier is sufficiently close - the three I mentioned are to me - one can see what one is buying and pick through inventory to select what one wants. Probably doesn't matter that much on head veneers, but on other things, it is my preference, rather than rely upon what the supplier sends.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I am curious as to when the terms "backstrap" and "headstock veneer" became synonymous and interchangeable
No you're not mistaken. I'm going to be using a headstock veneer as the backstrap. I haven't seen one website that lists "backstrap veneers"
Old 02-19-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Both Exotic Woods in Burlington and A & M Wood Specialty in Cambridge sell guitar parts, including head veneers. If you are close enough to them, you can go there and select what you want. If not, you can mail order from them.

Canadian Luthier Supply in Goderich has ebony and zircote head plates.
These are excellent sources, and quite nearby. Thanks Charles.
You're right about the shipping costs; some of these are scaring me away with $25+ in USD. Plus CITES isn't helping, with some of these restrictions.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:43 PM

Default alternate sources

I have seen what in lutherie is called 'backstrip' sold in boutique woodworkers stores as 'marquetry' (Woodworker's Warehouse south of the border). I don't know whether these folks sell over the counter in Canada, or whether they go by another name in Canada. But it might be worth a look-in at such a storefront. Last time I looked in a Woodworker's Warehouse there was a large selection of such stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair