The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2018, 02:04 PM

I've been running my Bose L1C with a Behringer xr16 for over a year and not once have I thought about replacing either. For the gigs I play solo its perfect and with my duo we run 2 L1C's. Have yet to feel underpowered and every time I walk around adjusting the mix while my partner plays I'm blown away at how good it sounds....from every angle. Also every time I load in/out

On a side note I read a lot of people are having issue with the router in the xr16.
Only time I've had connection issue is when I don't close the app on the tablet
So now I always shut down after each use and restart fresh each time and no issues at all...
Old 02-16-2018, 02:31 PM

Coming from 30+ years of the home hi fi world my experience has been that Bose is poorly designed, poorly built and doesn't sound so good. People convince themselves that it's good for some reason. When I worked retail long ago there were 2 things that were just about impossible to sell against: Consumer Reports and Bose.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinandTwang View Post
Coming from 30+ years of the home hi fi world my experience has been that Bose is poorly designed, poorly built and doesn't sound so good. People convince themselves that it's good for some reason. When I worked retail long ago there were 2 things that were just about impossible to sell against: Consumer Reports and Bose.
I used to feel the same way. Had a Bose system in my car and thought it was a muddy, middy mess. That said, my Bose L1C is the hands down favorite of the three systems I use and, to be honest, that kind of confounds me.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 02-16-2018, 03:18 PM

Default Bose quality

Have a Bose wave radio that I picked up late 80's or early 90's. Still works and sounds good to me. Now it has an Amazon echo dot plugged into the audio and couldn't be happier with it.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I used to feel the same way. Had a Bose system in my car and thought it was a muddy, middy mess. That said, my Bose L1C is the hands down favorite of the three systems I use and, to be honest, that kind of confounds me.
The higher end Bose car stereos for brands like Infinity and Acura are a different story. They're pretty darned hi fi compared to what's out there.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I have to wonder.

You wouldn't update a Fender Deluxe. Or a Twin.

Or an SM57.

Sometimes when you "update" stuff, you ruin it....
Yes, I have updated all of those. By getting rid of them for good.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
The higher end Bose car stereos for brands like Infinity and Acura are a different story. They're pretty darned hi fi compared to what's out there.

Well, this was an Infinity...maybe just my ears.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 02-17-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinandTwang View Post
I guess everyone has different opinions, and it would be a very boring world if we all felt the same way about everything.

I used to somewhat dislike Bose products based on their marketing, but I cannot deny that some of the Bose products simply sound very good to my ears. Recently, I had the opportunity to go to my local GC and compare the Fishman 330x, the JBL Eon, and the Bose L1c. I really thought I was going to walk out of there with the Fishman, but — going on nothing but my own ears and playing my own guitar — I simply liked the Bose better. I didn’t *like* that this was my conclusion, but it was. Everyone has a different opinion......such is life.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:57 PM

About 11 years ago I bought a used Bose car stereo set up for $18,000... seems like a lot but it did come installed in a white SL500... so I figured I'd keep it awhile as it sounded pretty good to me.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-17-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Well, this was an Infinity...maybe just my ears.
Well I like my 20 year old Alpine head unit and 10 year old Infinity (speakers, not car) system way more than the Bose in Mom's Infinity cause it puts out a way more studio sound ... and in fact I use it as a studio reference .... but compared to other factory car stereos, I find her Bose reasonably enveloping.

I think the best Bose I've heard for cars was in Acura RLs from like 2005-2009 or so. That was pretty flat and had some power.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification